We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

report--one day in Ogunquit

PA
Level Contributor
289 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
report--one day in Ogunquit

My family of four visited Ogunquit on a rainy Friday in June. We were disappointed that our lobster boat trip had to be cancelled due to threats of lightning, but decided to bring our umbrellas and spend the day anyway. We found the Perkins Cove area to be relatively empty on a rainy morning and were able to park for free in the lot near the lobster boat launch. We began the day by riding the Trolley Loop. The trolley is primarily for transportation and there is no narration or description but it did help us see the town and think about different parts of the town that we might want to backtrack and visit. We were able to get off and take some quick pictures at picturesque sites while the trolley was loading/unloading. The loop took nearly an hour.

We then wanted lunch and head to the Lobster Shack. We had planned eat at Footbridge Lobster, but changed our plans to the Lobster Shack next door because it had indoor seating in the rain. The service was friendly and the food was delicious. Atmosphere was charmingly rustic. You can see the tank of live lobsters and watch the cooks work from the counter.

We then walked the Marginal Way. The rain had mostly subsided by now. When we began our walk, the weather was foggy and ominous but it was quite sunny (and the walk was full of people) by about halfway through. It was interesting to see and photograph the scenery in both types of weather. My children enjoyed cavorting on the rocks by the beach. This is a very pleasant way to spend a few hours walking, people-watching or just sitting and watching the waves. It seemed to be a popular pastime.

By now, my children wanted treats. We stopped at Perkins Cove Candy Shop and were delighted with the variety of candies available. I particularly enjoyed a salted caramel. We could not find an open ice cream shop at the Perkins Cove area (one shop, maybe called Jackie's, was closed on a Friday afternoon), so we drove to Sweet Pea's Ice Cream on Shore Road. We couldn't park easily, so my husband dropped us off and drove around the block while the kids bought their ice cream. It was very good and, again, friendly service. The ice cream choices were numerous and both classic and exotic and the cones were quite large.

Despite the weather, this turned out to be one of our favorite day trips in New England and my kids would happily spend another afternoon climbing on the rocks beside the Marginal Way.

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: report--one day in Ogunquit

I'm so glad you had such a nice time, making the best of the weather! The fog is neat, great that you got to sample some foggy, and sunny weather! Yummy eats, too! Thanks for sharing your experience! :)

Ogunquit, Maine
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: report--one day in Ogunquit

See even in The Rain you can have a Good Time in Ogunquit Maine. Visit us again....when we have Sun .

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: report--one day in Ogunquit

It sounds like you're having a great trip .:-) I've also been reading your reports on the Boston forum. We've gone very quickly from cold and clammy to hot and humid. It sounds like you caught the turn-around day. We caught that same day in Boston.

PA
Level Contributor
289 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: report--one day in Ogunquit

I'm very glad we didn't cancel because of the weather. Ogunquit is at the top of our list to revisit one day.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,368 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: report--one day in Ogunquit

One of my favorite getaways too! Been going for decades. An unusual place to stop is Flos hot dogs. I also recommend highly the ultimate malted milk balls at Harbor Candy in the center of town! And in addition to the marginal way the beach is just wonderful!

PA
Level Contributor
289 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: report--one day in Ogunquit

Glad to see I'm not the only one that chooses vacations based on yummy food.

7. Re: report--one day in Ogunquit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 05:17