We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Great Summer Vacation

Which Ogunquit hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
360 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Another Great Summer Vacation

We just returned from another great trip to Ogunquit. As usual, we stayed at the Juniper Hill. As always, we had a great time there and we were very pleased with the renovated room. Every year we try something different. This year we dined at Varanos in Wells. Everyone had a great meal there. The food is great, the portions are large (one of our party thought it was family style dining because of the size of the portions), the service was very good and the price was reasonable. The only small issue is that it is dark and needs some upgrading with brighter decor. However, we had no problem overlooking the decor due to all of the positive points and we look forward to returning. I also had my first lobster roll from Footbridge Lobster. At the owners suggestion, I had it with drawn butter and it was fabulous. When we were there, he was charging $12.99 for twin boiled lobsters and he told me that he was dropping the price to $9.99. We ate at the Front Porch. This year service was not that good (they said they were very busy) and I must tell you the clam chowder was disappointing. What they call a "cup" is really a thimble and those of us who had the chowder were hard pressed to find any evidence of a clam. The fireworks this year were great and the crowd was really into it. Overall we had a great time and were sad to leave.

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Great Summer Vacation

Thanks for the trip report! I'm glad you enjoyed the "CT style" lobster roll with butter,, that's my preferred style for a lobsta roll,, harder to find them that way in MA and Maine. Will have to check out Varanos in Wells,, sounds good! It's fun to try new places, thanks for sharing your input, it helps folks narrow things down. Glad y'all had a fun time,, and fireworks too! :)

Ogunquit, Maine
Level Contributor
271 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Great Summer Vacation

AttnySteve glad you had a nice time in our Beautiful Town of Ogunquit . And the Weather wasn't too bad either ! Stop in next time you are in Town .

Edited: 11 July 2013, 06:39
Montreal Canada
Level Contributor
388 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Great Summer Vacation

Glad you had a great time as well as weather. Varanos has been on our list of restaurants to try and we'll make a point of getting there this year. Looking forward to Footbridge Lobster as well; what an excellent price!

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
57 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Great Summer Vacation

I was checking out the Juniper HIll, how is the walk to town from there? Have stayed at the Riverside, Rockmere, Achorage, all were great but looking for a new place.

New York
Level Contributor
360 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Great Summer Vacation

5 Minute walk from Juniper Hill to center of town

Miami
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Great Summer Vacation

Floating the river and Footbridge Lobster tomorrow !

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,289 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Great Summer Vacation

Juniper Hill is in a walkable location to town and if you are headed to the beach there is a path in the back you can take to get there.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
57 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Great Summer Vacation

How noisy are the rooms outside the main building? We had a choice and I thought the balcony would be a plus but I am reading about the noise, your thoughts. Thanks

New York
Level Contributor
360 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Great Summer Vacation

We have been going to the Juniper Hill for years and never had an issue with noise.

Montreal Canada
Level Contributor
388 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Great Summer Vacation

We've also stayed at the Juniper many times and have never had a noise issue EXCEPT when we were in the Main Building with the shared balcony outside. We were in room 205 which is just above the staff entrance and were disturbed early in the morning with the door below opening and closing. We've stayed in the Chase building several times and have never had an issue with noise.