We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ogunquit - and up coast

Albany, Ga
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Ogunquit - and up coast

We're from south Georgia! Hoping to visit for 1st time this October.

We were thinking about hitting Ogunquit & heading north along coast. We will only have 4-5 days. We want to see some coastal towns, eat lobster, ya know the tourist things, antiquing.

Should we fly in to Portland or Boston. Any recommened lodging be it moderate hotels or B&B's..nothing over $200/nt. Places to eat?

Will colors be good in Mid Oct?

THanks

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ogunquit - and up coast

If you can get decent air fare I would fly into portland as the towns all around portland are coastal and scenic. The town of ogunquit is about 40 minutes from portland.Most places will be under 200 dollars,I would spend at least two days in ogunquit,there are many little shops,Kennebunkport is 10 miles north and it is also touristy but many people need to see it.In Ogunquit I love to walk on the marginal way,it is a beautiful view of coastal maine with tide pools,coves and the rocky coast.The beachmere is directly on this footpath.If you have time take a day or two up by wiscasset,it has the best lobster roll at a tiny little shack called reds that is world famous.Boothbay harbor and the area around wiscasset has alot of nice places to stay.Remember if you are an insomniac...LLbean is open 24 hours a day in Freeport,Lots of shops and interesting places are in and around the entire southern part of Maine,When you have more of an idea of where you will be heading check back for more advice.Have fun planning.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ogunquit - and up coast

Hi kendo,

Avoid Boston's Logan Airport if at all possible as it's such a pain to get in/out of with constant construction, detours, and of course major traffic.

Portland's Jetport is a nice, small airport that is easy to get in/out of and within 5 to 10 minutes you can be on either route 1 or 95 and on your way without alot of aggravation.

Oqunquit is a lovely beachy sort of town and should be nice in October. However, know that alot of the coastal towns in Maine, including Ogunquit , close up shop shortly after Columbus Day Weekend and not alot remains open.

I agree with palmhill about trying to get a room at the Beachmere Inn. I've stayed there numerous times and you can't beat the location, atmosphere, nice accomodations, views, and people. And in October it'll be more affordable.

If you want to see rocky coast with evergreens, crashing waves, lighthouses, and islands, etc. then try to make it up to areas north of Portland.

Boothbay Harbor (where I live so I'm quite biased) might be a nice overnight stay, along with Camden for another night.

Boothbay Harbor encompasses a wide range of scenery with it's quaint downtown, various boat trips, views out to several lighthouses, nice scenic drives within short distances from town, along with areas where you can watch waves crashing, etc.

For hotels/B&B's in BBH I'd recommend the Topside Inn, a really nice B&B that sits high on a hilltop with spectacular almost 360 views of the sea and surrounding area; the Admiral's Quarters B&B which is right in town and has wonderful views to the harbor; the Tugboat which is a hotel right on the harbor and offers a nice dining room with great views.

On the eastside there's the Rocktide hotel and/or Browns Wharf, both are directly on the water, have good reputations, and are about a 15 minute walk into town over the footbridge. These places both have restaurants and wonderful sunset views.

Further out of town are the Ocean Pt. Inn and Newagen Inn. Each are located at the tip of peninsula's with gorgeous views out to sea, have great areas to walk, their own restaurants, and access to tennis and pools. Of course in October I doubt you'll want to go swimming!

For further info on BBH check out the following website www.boothbayharbor.com. This site will also provide you with links to just about every accomodation in the area.

Camden/Rockland which are located about 2 hours north of Portland (Boothbay Harbor is about 1 hour north of the airport) offer more of a year round community. Both towns have active and pretty downtowns with all the usual shops and restaurants, but Rockland has the Farnsworth Art Museum which is lovely with it's huge share of Maine landscapes painted by Maine artists and it's Wyeth wings and great gift shop.

Camden has Mt. Battie which is a must see during the autumn. It's just north of town off route 1. You can either drive up or hike (it's about 900 feet or so and not a bad hike) and you'll be rewarded on a clear day with 360 views of Penobscot Bay, islands, the harbors and towns of Camden and Rockport to the east , and then mountains, farmlands, rolling hills and white steepled churches to the west. Definitely a beautiful spot and worth the trip.

To check out info for Camden and Rockland look on these sites respectively:

www.camdenmaine.org and www.therealmaine.com.

Another great website that might help is www.visitmaine.com. This is the state's visitor site and is wonderful.

Good luck with your plans and let us what you decide and try and report back about how it all went :).

cozyharbor

Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ogunquit - and up coast

I actually just returned from a trip to Maine and I flew to Logan for 100 bucks r/t from Detroit. There was no problem with traffic because we took the train from Boston to Portland and rented a car there. The only catch is the 'Downeaster' train may only be seasonal, check to see if it runs in the fall.

If you want to check out the towns of Belfast and Searsport, which I highly recommend, try the Yardarm Motel on Rt 1. It is a bargain at under 100 dollars and a great home base for exploring towns to the south like Candem and Rockland and also towns to the north like Blue Hill and Deer Island.

4. Re: Ogunquit - and up coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 00:19
Get answers to your questions about Ogunquit
Recent Conversations