We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for New Year vacation, please

Lancaster County, PA
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for New Year vacation, please

I'm feeling just a bit depressed right now, after reading some of the reviews in this forum. We were really looking forward to our start of new year vacation, but after reading about Seacastles (where we are booked) and trying to find good places to eat, it's not looking so good. I've been to many websites for restaurants in and around Ogunquit and most of them don't tell you if they're open all year. If they show "summer hours", does that mean they are closed in the winter?

We would particularly like to make reservations for New Year's Eve, as that's the day we arrive. We'd prefer something that is not real dressy, but would like a nice dinner, if possible.

We'd appreciate any advice folks can offer. We already know we will not go to Angelinas.

PA Granny

Surfside, SC
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for New Year vacation, please

I cant speak about what is open in Ogunquit in Jan, but you might want to head south just a little bit, along the shore road if you'd like, into York. On Rt 1 and in York Harbor there are many places open all year, so while its daylight, maybe just take a drive that way. Really, you would be heading towards the outlets if you stay on Rte. 1.... Dont be depressed about it. You might also walk around Perkins Cove in Ogunquit, as there are place always open around there... have a great time!

California
Level Contributor
169 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for New Year vacation, please

Hi PA Granny,

I'm not sure which reviews are depressing you, but perhaps I can help. My parents are owners at Seacastles, and I have stayed there many times with them. We have always found the units comfortable and clean, and I suspect that some of the things others have complained about (noise from children & pool, etc.) you won't have to deal with on New Year's weekend. Perhaps you should see about requesting a unit in the building separate from the pool. As others have said, Seacastles location can't be beat.

It's true you won't find the number of restaurants open in the winter that you'd find in the summer, but you also won't find the crowds! Many of the nicer restaurants will still be open, with special New Year's menus (look into Poor Richards, MCPerkins, Arrows, Jonathans, Barnacle Billys). The Village Inn also has a very cozy bar in which to spend a cold winter evening.

iDepending on the weather, you can still walk the Marginal Way, which is beautiful any time of year. I think one of our favorite memories of Ogunquit was during an off-season visit during a Nor'easter (sp?), where my husband and kids and I sat in our car in the empty Perkins Cove parking lot and watched the fabulous waves & wind -- we were transfixed.

Many of the smaller shops will likely be closed, but I would bet that the outlets in Kittery will have some fantastic sales, and the Stonewall Kitchen flagship company store (gourmet foods) in York is a great place where you can do some serious sampling :-)

Lastly, Portsmouth, NH, Kennebunkport and Portland, ME are all a short drive from Ogunquit and make a nice day trip. Portland has a wonderful art museum that I assume is open year-round, though I'm not sure what their hours would be over the holiday weekend.

So think positive and have a great time! You'll experience an Ogunquit quite different than the summer Ogunquit, but I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time.

Regards,

Diane

Montreal Canada
Level Contributor
405 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for New Year vacation, please

PA Granny: Go to www.ogunquit.org and click on "Guidebook". Download book B. Starting on page 7 is a listing of all the restaurants in Ogunquit and it tells you if the establishment is seasonal or year round. Please don't be depressed...I'd love to be in OGT for New Years...I'm jealous! Don't forget to check out restaurants in Kennebunkport too. It's an easy drive from Ogunquit. Enjoy!

Lancaster County, PA
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for New Year vacation, please

Thank you, thank you. I feel so much better about this. We don't get a lot of vacations, so they really count. We've always loved visiting Maine in the summer and thought this would be a new adventure. Thanks again for taking the time to respond. I'll be telling all my friends to check out their vacations plans at this website.

PA Granny

Lancaster County, PA
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for New Year vacation, please

Just checking in AFTER our week in Ogunquit. Thanks to all of you for your advice and suggestions. We were very pleased with Seacastles. It probably could use an update, but we have no complaints. Our suites were clean and everything worked, including a shower I wish I had at home. The location can't be beat and we were blessed with weirdly warm weather all week.

We joined the crowd at MCPerkins for New Year's Eve. The food was nothing to write home about (too little, too late and much too spicy for us), but we didn't really care. The band was fantastic and we had a wonderful time.

6. Re: Advice for New Year vacation, please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 09:20
Get answers to your questions about Ogunquit
Recent Conversations