We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July mini-trip

Which Old Orchard Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
July mini-trip

My husband & I (both in our early to mid 50's) are planning a 3-day weekend during mid-July. We currently have reservations at a bed & breakfast in Old Orchard Beach, but looking at some of the postings, it seems that may be too noisy for us. We're flying into Manchester on a Friday afternoon & renting a car. My questions are:

1) Will traffic be horrible?

2) Is all of Old Orchard Beach a "teen enclave"?

3) Any recommendations for good, but inexpensive seafood restaurants in the area?

Thanks!

--Margclan

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: July mini-trip

Old Orchard is a fairly busy place in July, and gets busier in Aug. If your B&B is in the " downtown area of Old Orchard Ave. , cancel immediately. Hangout at night for kids and THE most crowded area near the pier.There are some nicer properties North toward Pine Point. Dining?, a lot of fried food (Ken's is good for dining in the rough) Few upscale places. The Landmark and Joseph's are the best. If you are a true beach lover an early walk on O.O.B. is about as good as it gets. (And I have been to many!!)Just be aware this is not Grace Bay.

Auburn, Maine
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: July mini-trip

I disagree with the posters who say stay away from OOB in the summrtime. True OOB can get busy and loud but there are many fine small motels & B&B's away from all the activity. The beach at OOB is one of Maines best. Boothbay Harbor is a great place to go as well. Don't rule out OOB. It's great you & your significant other can stroll down town grab a slice of Lisa's Pizza people watch in the square or stroll the pierand best of all breath in the wonderful salt air!!! May I reccomend The Gull Motel or perhaps the Ocean Walk or Waves Motels. All are "away" from the strip but close enough to all the activity. Also, the casco Bay Islands have motels and B&B's that would offer a unique albeit different look at Island life in Maine. Whaleback on Peaks Island On a warm July or August night is amazing and beautiful!!! Also cottages can be rented on a lot of these islands for reasonable rates. Hope This Helps and enjoy your stay in Maine when your here.

PS: if you do go to OOB you must go to the ClamBake on Pine Point, you won't be sorry, AYUP!!

Auburn, Maine
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: July mini-trip

And Oh yea, one more thing, if the sight of overweight french men from Quebec wearing there bananna hammocks (speedos) doesn't frighten you too much then you should be OK in OOB!!

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: July mini-trip

I did the OOB when I was growing up and loved rides, games, noise, etc. (as well as gorgeous beach) but am into a quieter phase and have booked at Nautilus in Ocean Park for a week based on website and fact is right on beach. Wondered if anyone had any knowledge of this as a place to stay?

USA
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: July mini-trip

I have to put in my thoughts on the "good but inexpensive seafood restaurants".

I live in the immediate area now, but growing up, I vacationed along the coast from another part of NE. We always had at least 2 meals at the Clambake during our one-week stay, but once I moved here, I discovered the smaller lobster shack-type restaurants such as Baileys on Pine Point Road or The Lobster Claw on Ocean Park Road.

The Clambake is bigger and does have more atmosphere, but we've found over the years that the prices are usually higher than the smaller lobster shacks and the portions of food are usually smaller. If you are looking for a nice sitdown restaurant, Joseph's is on the water and is very nice.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: July mini-trip

I'm not going to bury the Clambake, it is a very family friendly place. It is also the largest cafeteria in the state. What it does, it does well, but don't be thinkin' this is a nice seafood sit down experience.

Get answers to your questions about Old Orchard Beach
Recent Conversations