We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to see the ocean! any recommendations?

Montreal
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Need to see the ocean! any recommendations?

My sister and I are would like to spend a few days in Maine, mainly to get to the ocean. We are from Quebec :) and are long due for a change in scenery! Can anyone recommend an affordable stay? Just looking for somewhere safe and comfortable...originally thought Old Orchard, but could entertain the thought of staying somewhere else along the coast (withing reasonable distance). Any recommendations? thank you!

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to see the ocean! any recommendations?

What time of year? If you're talking now, off season, you can get some good rates. High season can be expensive if you want to be right on the ocean.

Montreal
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to see the ocean! any recommendations?

we want to go at the end of july

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to see the ocean! any recommendations?

I'd skip Old Orchard and go for Ogunquit. Stay at the Anchorage Inn or the Beachcomber..right on the ocean, walk to everywhere. It is the perfect setting.

If you want to go further east an alternative could be Log Cabin inn on Bailey Island. This is an awesome B&B right on the ocean.

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to see the ocean! any recommendations?

Hi attraction79,

We also liked Ogunquit, like my friend pozj. We loved walking the Marginal Way every day. It is a mile path along the ocean. For me the views from the Marginal Way is Maine. Here is a link to TA members reviews of the Marginal Way: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g40790-d10…

Enjoy your trip!

Montreal Canada
Level Contributor
405 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to see the ocean! any recommendations?

Take it from another Montrealer...the only reason you should stay in OOB is if you want to feel like you haven't left Quebec. The beach is very nice in Old Orchard, however so are the beaches at ennebunk and Ogunquit which attract a far different crowd than Old Orchard.

boston, mass
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need to see the ocean! any recommendations?

stay away from old orchard beach.it is getting seedy again.they have tried so hard to fix it up and clean it up, but it is still a honky tonk kind of town. the beach is nice, but the beachesalong the whole coast of maien are nice. if you wantnice, quiet,relaxing and niceclass of people,,,,,then do not go to OOB.go to Ogunquit, kennebunkport, even wells.

Rockland, Maine
Level Contributor
26 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need to see the ocean! any recommendations?

What about actually staying on the ocean? Mid-coast Maine is the schooner capital of the world and the windjammers there take guests on multi-day sailing adventures. They are historic tall ships with a full crew. Meals are provided including a lobster bake on an uninhabited island. You can help sail if you want or you can sit back and soak up the sun, take a nap, read, or just enjoy the majestic beauty of the Maine coast; lighthouses, lobster boats, seals, porpoise, beautiful boats, expansive coastal homes, eagle, osprey, and maybe even a whale. If you're looking for a truly unique and memorable way to experience the ocean, a windjammer just might be the way to go. Their web site is www.SailMaineCoast.com

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need to see the ocean! any recommendations?

Travelcap has an awesome idea! As a sailor of small vessals I agree that this would be a terrific experience!

9. Re: Need to see the ocean! any recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Old Orchard Beach
Recent Conversations