We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotels/motels on the beach?

Which Old Orchard Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best hotels/motels on the beach?

Hey everyone!

My mother and I are going to Old Orchard Beach this summer (late June, early July). We've been looking for hotels for weeks now and we still haven't made our choice, if anybody would help, it'd be great!

We usually love fancy hotels, but from what i saw, i guess there aren't many on OOB. So, we just want something clean, with a pool, beside the ocean. The price isn't important. Anyone got any ideas?

Oh and, is the Royal Anchor Resort worth it? That is our first choice...

Thank you!

Northborough...
Level Contributor
162 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotels/motels on the beach?

I find Old Orchard to be not so clean. I find it to be a little run down. If you're up for a different location, I might suggest going down south (20 minutes or so) to Kennebunkport/Wells/Ogunquet. There you'll find much nicer hotels (cleaner) and nicer beaches and pools. I personally like that area much more. It's worth looking into if you're not set on Old Orchard.

Topsham, Maine
Level Contributor
62 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotels/motels on the beach?

Agree with the previous poster. I'd lean towards Kennebunk/Wells/Ogunquit area or go a little further north up the coastline to the Mid Coast or Downeast area. MUCH nicer areas and towns and options on lodgings. If you really want to see OOB, go for a day...

LJR
Saco, Maine
Level Contributor
344 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotels/motels on the beach?

Actually, OOB is very clean. If you want an actual beach to relax and to walk for miles, do go to Old Orchard. People go to OOB for the beach, they go to the other towns for shopping and sight seeing.

I am not sure about the Royal Anchor, but it always seems to be full during season. There's also the Ocean Walk, the SeaCliff, The Waves.

For restaurants, try the Oceanside Grille at the Brunswick Hotel, Josephs by the Sea, and JJ's Eatery II.

Hope you dont pass by Old Orchard!

boston, mass
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotels/motels on the beach?

i have to agree with most of the people here and old orchard Beach is not the place for you. i would also go to Kennebunkport, Wells, or Ogunquit for a nice clean place. in OOB there are many places that promise the moon and the pictures on line are so not the real thing. It would be nice to pass through, but that is it!!!!!

Montreal
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotels/motels on the beach?

Thank you all for your advices!!

It really helped us make a choice. We're probably only going to visit for a day, and maybe go much more south to Cape Cod or something like that!

Thanks again!!!

Old Orchard Beach...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotels/motels on the beach?

I think LJR gave you some good ideas. Old Orchard has the largest sandy beach in Maine. If you are looking to just relax in the sun for a bit, OOB is the best place to stay. Most of the ocean front motels, you can walk out your door and be on the sand in a heartbeat.

In my experience, there has never been a hotel/motel anywhere I have stayed that looked the same as the pictures on the internet.

The great thing about Old Orchard is that you can start your day with a walk on the beach, do a day trip to just about anywhere else, then end the day "coming home" to sit and listen to / watch the surf.

Again, don't let others scare you away from Old Orchard Beach!

Barre, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
144 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hotels/motels on the beach?

I don't think you should drive all the way south to the Cape. If you don't like OOB, just head south a few exits and try another beach... Kennebunk, York, Ogunquit, etc. Each one has their own pros and cons. No need to spend more time driving on your vacation.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best hotels/motels on the beach?

I just want to second LJR's recommendation for JJ's II. I went there this winter for lunch, and the selections were many, the quality was good and the place was cute, even the dishes (fish-shaped dish for a fish item, etc.). It's great to see them open in the off-season.

California
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best hotels/motels on the beach?

Just south of OOB, Billowhouse is nice, but I don't think they have a pool. You'll enjoy it though, it's at the quiet end of the beach.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
37 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best hotels/motels on the beach?

We stayed at Royal Anchor years and years ago

off season (in May) and it was clean but NOT

fancy. In fact the entire Old Orchard Beach

area is disappointing unless you like literally

wall to wall people. If you want something more

upscale, scenic and nicer hotels, definitely go

to Ogunquit or up the coast or Boothbay Harbor

area. It depends what you want. If you want

crowds, and disappointing hotels, you'll find that

at Old Orchard. The beach there is nice but

I like the ocean better at Ogunquit or Boothbay

Harbor.