We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Love Old Orchard Beach

LJR
Saco, Maine
Level Contributor
344 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Love Old Orchard Beach

I have just read a few of the past posts. OOB is not seedy! It is a wonderful town with a beautiful beach. Yes, some of the attractions are a little honky tonk, but all the more fun. And, you posters from Mass. Do you realize how many people from your not so glorious state actually vacation and buy property here? More from Mass than Cananda!!!

And, yes, I also go to Kennbunkport, Wells, Boothbay Harbor, Bar Harbor, etc.and enjoy them. But there is nothing like the long, sandy beach in OOB.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Love Old Orchard Beach

We also go to and enjoy all of the places you listed, but it just ain't summer if we don't get to OOB. To me, if they succeed in gentrifying that area, it will change it into something I am no longer interested in. We love: Pier Fries, Bill's Pizza, playing arcade games and winning useless prizes, the mini-golf (what's its name - the big one with two courses?),people watching with a cocktail in hand at a beachside bar, dinner at Joseph's.

Boston
Level Contributor
382 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Love Old Orchard Beach

Hey, I love old orchard beach just the way it is. I go there all the time, and often I'm the only person on the entire beach actually swimming in the water (brr!). But sometimes posters asking about it aren't from the northeast and are under the impression it's a super fancy resort or unspoiled wilderness, which I think we can both agree it aint. If asked, I'm going to post my honest opinion. And of course us Massholes (can I say that here?) buy vacation property there - we love it, it's a beautiful beach, and it's 2 hours from boston! No need to get defensive.

LJR
Saco, Maine
Level Contributor
344 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Love Old Orchard Beach

I guess I was a little defensive, sorry. But prior posts were telling people to skip right over OOB. What a shame that would be! See you this summer!!

boston, mass
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Love Old Orchard Beach

sorry but i am from OOB originally which is why i moved away. the place is going down the drain. no matter how much they try to clean it up there is always problems. The motels are owned by people who leave after making their money and then come and glue and paste the places back together after the winter. they raise their rates so that the average family cannot afford it. I find it very discouraging.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Love Old Orchard Beach

Hi LJR,

I haven't been to OOB in eons, except to drive through it during the dead of winter a few years back. Consequently, I can't really form an opinion about it one way or the other.

However, from what I read and my short drive through the area in winter, it reminds me of the fun and funky places I've seen elsewhere like Seaside Heights in NJ or Nantasket Beach in Hull, MA or even parts of Cape May, NJ. These type of places are quickly going by the wayside and that's too bad. There's something nastalgic about what OOB has to offer thats a reminder of the past that I hope doesn't become totally obliterated. And because I'm afraid thats exactly be what might happen, I'm going to make it a point to check out OOB later this spring or early summer before it possibly disappears and/or becomes just like everywhere else...

cozyharbor

LJR
Saco, Maine
Level Contributor
344 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Love Old Orchard Beach

Hey Cozy

Hope you do visit the beach this summer. Also wanted to let you know that my husband and I LOVE Boothbay! Try to go every Labor Day weekend.

Have a great summer.

Saco, Maine
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Love Old Orchard Beach

Hey there LJR,

You know I agree with you! There is no place like OOB. The person is right that said there are a lot of owners from away and that is too bad. However there are still plenty of locals that keep the place running and keep the spirit alive. I really wish they would get more "adult beverage" places for us to hang out. I miss the Krazy Klam and the Whitehall!! RIP both of you. Many great memories are made every summer in OOB

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Love Old Orchard Beach

cabosusie: We also miss the Krazy Klam. It was, hands down, the best place to catch some sun and an "adult beverage" in OOB. You couldn't beat it for people-watching!

LJR
Saco, Maine
Level Contributor
344 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Love Old Orchard Beach

You must go to the Oceanside Grille at the Brunswick Hotel. Outdoor hotspot for people watching, adult beverages, and great music. Have a great summer in OOB!! It's the best!!

Maryland
Level Contributor
166 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Love Old Orchard Beach

Last summer I spoke to the sales manager at the new condo buiding right in the middle of downtown and while we were talking I asked about the noise from the arcade across the street her replay was, "That's going to go also, it's going to happen." It will be interesting to see how the sales have been going.

Now, I've been coming to OOB since the mid 1980's when I was younger I stayed for 3 weeks, now with children I stay 1 week so I've seen the transformations over the years. Yup, I remember the fights, the motorcycle gangs, the drunks, the easy pickups but that's in the past. I also remember the rude obnoxious French Canadaians but even they seem to be much nicer these years. Yea, they smoke like crazy on and off the beach.

I like traveling all the way from the Annapolis MD area because I like the fresh air, the beach, the water (even if it's frigid), the fried clams, girl watching (don't tell my wife), cheap lobsters, etc etc. By the way, I stay near Ocean Park. I would never stay downtown with my family because of the noise.

Hope my two cents worth was helpful to someone.

Get answers to your questions about Old Orchard Beach
Recent Conversations