We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we take family vacation to Old Orchard Beach?

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
12 posts
Save Topic
Should we take family vacation to Old Orchard Beach?

Hi,

We live in Alabama and normally take family (wife, kids - 12,8,6 and, now, 5 months)beach vacation to Destin, FL every summer. Due to some airline credits, we are looking to fly somewhere as a family this summer and are considering Old Orchard Beach. Is there enough to do for kids for a week? I have read good things and seen some good things on the town's website. The Pier's website made me a little nervous as the pier seemed to be one big Hoolihans and another pub type place rather than having young kid activities? What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

David

Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Old Orchard Beach
Old Orchard Beach
1,274 Reviews
Old Orchard Beach, ME
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we take family vacation to Old Orchard Beach?

There is plenty for kids to do in OOB and the surrounding areas. First of all there's the beach - sand and surf. Then there's Palace Playland with rides and games. The pier is definitely a bar atmosphere at night, but not so much earlier in the day. There's also a fun mini-golf nearby with a pirate theme.

Down the road a bit is Camp Ellis. They can fish off the jetty. Head up to Saco for a day at Funtown/Splashtown USA, or go bowling or see a movie.

Mentioned in this post
Palace Playland
Palace Playland
476 Reviews
Old Orchard Beach, ME
Saco
Saco
Maine
United States
United States
North America
Maine
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we take family vacation to Old Orchard Beach?

You would want to avoid the Pier with the kids on weekend nights but otherwise, OOB has really cleaned itself up and is definitely family friendly. There's the beach, amusement park, mini-golf, arcarde and games and plenty of options for dining. 10 minutes away on Route 1 in Saco there's Funtown/Splashtown, an amusement and water park, Aquaboggan water park, a drive in theater, a regular theater. Plenty to do.

You can also take easy day trips up and down the coast. In addition, there's a train station in OOB and you can hop the train for a day trip to Boston if that's interesting to you.

The water will be much colder than you're used to!

Mentioned in this post
Saco
Saco
Maine
Aquaboggan Water Park
Aquaboggan Water Park
83 Reviews
Saco, ME
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we take family vacation to Old Orchard Beach?

Thanks much. I am sold and am booking the trip today.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we take family vacation to Old Orchard Beach?

Thanks to you as well. Where do I find info about the train times, details, etc. I may try to take them one day to see the Red Sox at Fenway.

new york
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we take family vacation to Old Orchard Beach?

My husband and I have been going there for years with our 14 year old daughter and a friend of hers.We have fun every year,and wouldnt miss a year going there.We normally go in july so its pretty busy.There should be plenty for the kids to do the beach,amusement park,arcade all in one general area.Everything is in walking distance.I really havent been out on the town at night,but where we stayed it was fairly quiet considering it was only 2 blocks from the pier.Hope you like it we love it,and wouldnt give up a year of not going!

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we take family vacation to Old Orchard Beach?

Thanks much. We are looking forward to experiencing a different area for the beach trip. If you ever get the chance to go to Destin, do so, the beaches there are great as well.

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we take family vacation to Old Orchard Beach?

Here's the link for the train:

http://www.amtrakdowneaster.com/

If you want to see a Sox game, you may want to get tickets ASAP (and it will probably be on a re-sale site like Ace tickets or Stubhub).

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we take family vacation to Old Orchard Beach?

Thanks!

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
74 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we take family vacation to Old Orchard Beach?

My two favorite places to vacation in New England are Old Orchard Beach and the middle region of Cape Cod near the National Seashore Beaches.

For a vacation with young children I probably prefer OOB since you can rent a motel room directly on the beach which is a blessing with kids in tow.

If you go to Old Orchard and get tired of the fast food down at the Pier area the Maine Mall is only about 20 minutes north of the beach and has just about every typical chain restaurant you can think of including IHOP, Country Buffet, On the Border, Longhorn Steakhouse, McDonalds etc...

Also wanted to mention you may want to pack a picnic lunch and head over to Two Lights State Park in Cape Elizabeth for the day for a change of scenery. It is a very scenic area with lots of rocks to climb and tidepools to investigate.

As mentioned before it is a short ride to Kennebunkport, Freeport, Ogunquit but OOB will be a lot more economical and more fun for the kids.

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Old Orchard Beach
Old Orchard Beach
1,274 Reviews
Old Orchard Beach, ME
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Maine Mall
Maine Mall
83 Reviews
South Portland, ME
Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport
Kennebunks, ME
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we take family vacation to Old Orchard Beach?

Thanks for the info!

David

Get answers to your questions about Old Orchard Beach
Recent Conversations