We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Orchard Beach VS Wells ? Never went to Maine before...

Which Old Orchard Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Secaucus, New Jersey
Level Contributor
246 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Old Orchard Beach VS Wells ? Never went to Maine before...

We are going to Maine and are not sure where to go. I hope someone out there could suggest somewhere. I called the Maine Tourism Bureau and believe it or not, they told me that they couldn't suggest one place over another and that it's all great.

That DID NOT help!

We want:

A clean hotel on the beach

Walking distance to a coffee shop for breakfast

Walking distance to restaurants for dinner

No more than 20-30 mins. away for antique shopping. We like

50's collectibles and antique malls with lots of dealers.

As far as the beach scene goes, we want it to be somewhat of a serene atmosphere. We will be going in the summer (July or August) and don't want to be around any rowdy type people.

I hope this information will help you guide us on which part of Maine to go! Wells? Old Orchard Beach? Help!

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Orchard Beach VS Wells ? Never went to Maine before...

Ok reread your second message. If you want serene in July and August. Southern Maine is difficult. Maybe someone will have good suggestions.

My suggestions would be Southwest Harbor (on MDI) perhaps east boothbay? or maybe Wolfesneckcampground in freeport. They have a few lodges and your still in Freeport!! And they are right on the water (feels like 2 different freeports) Another option maybe camden/belfast/searsport? Depending on what you consider "Antique Malls?"

scituate, ma
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Orchard Beach VS Wells ? Never went to Maine before...

In July & August, southern Maine will definitely be crowded. Old Orchard beach is kind of honky-tonk loud, and propaby not your cup of tea.

Wells, Ogunquit & Kennebunk can be lovely, especially if the off-season.

Try the Blue HIll Peninsula, very quiet, lots of beautiful inns, and a reaally fun Antiques Barn called the Big chicken barn, on Rte 1 right outside of Ellsworth.

As other postser have suggeted, the best way to avoid the crowds is to head down one of the many peninsulas of the Miane coast and avoided traveling on RTe 1.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Orchard Beach VS Wells ? Never went to Maine before...

I'm not sure if you are going to find everything on your list in the same town. Beach (if you are talking a stretch of sand) is primarily a Southern Maine phenom. Once you get above Portland the strips of sand are few and far between, and not really in walking distance of a town center.

Southern Maine in July and August are pretty crowded. If you come from NYC, Southern Maine in July and August might seem serene to you, but if you are looking for what Mainers call serene, that's not it!

I would tell you to avoid Old Orchard Beach (too rowdy) and send you to Ogunquit, even though the downtown will be choked with traffic. Ogunquit is a very walkable town with hotels that overlook the beach and water. It's not that hard to get down to the beach. Wells (which is right down the road) should have rental cottages on the beach, and it has arguably the best collection of antique stores in Southern Maine, but it lacks the cute town center that Ogunquit has.

You will actually find great antiquing grounds all the way up to Portland. If you pick a base about halfway between Portland and York (another good antiquing town) nothing is really that far away, so I'd try to research what stores between Portland and York have the best inventory of the particular antiques you want. I'm not so familiar with 50' collectibles, so can't tell you exactly where to go. Maybe this site would help? http://www.maineantiques.org/

Secaucus, New Jersey
Level Contributor
246 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Orchard Beach VS Wells ? Never went to Maine before...

Well, we took your advice and booked a hotel in Ogunquit.

I hope we love it. We really wanted to stay somewhere directly on the beach, but only found a hotel in Wells, and didn't seem as new as the Ogunquit hotel(s).

I hope we love it!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Orchard Beach VS Wells ? Never went to Maine before...

we have always stayed in Wells because there seems to be more choice in cottages there, but of course we go to Ogunquit Beach because it has the most beautiful long sandy beach in the area. It is only about a 10 minute drive. I'm sure you will love it.

6. Re: Old Orchard Beach VS Wells ? Never went to Maine before...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 23:16
Get answers to your questions about Old Orchard Beach