We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymooning in Maine & need recommendations

Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Honeymooning in Maine & need recommendations

We are honeymooning first week of Oct 2018 and looking for ideas for places to stay and dining. Definitely want to see Acadia national park...

Where should we stay? I'm envisioning a cute cabin on the coast with a fireplace. I want to eat lobster every day..! My husband to be loves breweries. What's romantic and perfect for this setting?

10 replies to this topic
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymooning in Maine & need recommendations

To commute to and from wherever you stay would be tough. Staying in the Portland area to do the breweries for sure is a good plane, but you may consider some of the coastal towns to the north or south. Portland will be a bit cheaper come October, but still expensive. Not sure what you will find for cabins on the coast as I have never done this.

Acadia is a must! One of the most beautiful landscapes in the nation, many people visit as part of a honeymoon! I actually did back in the day!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymooning in Maine & need recommendations

You would stay in Bar Harbor. Bar Harbor is both a village and a township. You can find small cabin clusters north of the village. You can also find a cabin or house that would rent by the week in the Bar Harbor area. Look around at http://www.acadiamagic.com/ for an idea of the wide choice of lodging. Finding waterfront is a bit difficult, but possible.

You will be able to eat lobster at breakfast, lunch, and dinner at any number of places near Acadia. In addition to the village of Bar Harbor, there is also Southwest Harbor and Northeast Harbor. The very small village of Barnard has a great casual lobster place called Thurston's Lobster Pound. There are many others all over Mount Desert Island, where Acadia National Park is located.

There is also a brewery and several brew pubs in Bar Harbor. Atlantic Brewing has several locations on Mount Desert Island. There are also up and coming breweries in the area.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
3,013 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymooning in Maine & need recommendations

For Portland, there are a lot of breweries so it will depend on where you choose to stay and how much time. What style of beer does he like?

Here is a list of breweries I have been to and grouped by location

South of Portland (within a cheap Uber ride)

Barrelled Souls

Banded Horn

Thompson Point

Bissell Brothers - Probably the most popular

Fore River

Downtown

Grittys

Sebago

Novare Res (awesome beer bar)

Just north of downtown in same area

Rising Tide

Oxbow

Bunker

Lone Pine

North of Portland

Allagash ($3 tastings) and largest brewery up here

Foundation

Austin St

Battery Steele

There are a bunch of breweries north of here too but I haven't been to them.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymooning in Maine & need recommendations

So not exactly a "cute" cottage, but my dream spot to stay would be the Flume Cottage at the Samoset:

https:/…

That's usually outside my budget, but there are several other accommodations with cottages in the Camden/Rockport area. There's also plenty of lobster.

camdenrockland.com/where-to-stay/vacation-co…

Edited: 19 January 2018, 20:41
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymooning in Maine & need recommendations

Awesome thanks for all the replies!!! Bar harbor for sure...

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymooning in Maine & need recommendations

Just make sure you book ahead...it tends to be quite expensive and fills up quickly. I would be surprised if you would find deals even now for October. But that is the area you want to stay in for sure.

However you may want to spend a cpl nights there and then a couple in the Portland area to get everything done you want to.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymooning in Maine & need recommendations

A lot of the photos of Mount Desert Island are from Fisherman’s Inn, Kent Island, MD. It is an fun place and good food, but not in Maine!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymooning in Maine & need recommendations

What is it that you are looking at that claims to be pictures of Mount Desert Island but instead are pictures of Kent Island ????

Georgia
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymooning in Maine & need recommendations

Thanks "curious" isn't it?

She's been a member for 3 years, yet her first and one and only post was to direct the OP to a place in Maryland.

Level Contributor
17 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymooning in Maine & need recommendations

October is a gorgeous time to visit Maine. It is essential that you have reservations. I recommend Portland Mt Dessert Island or a Coastal town in that area, but also Bethel or Rangely. The last two are inland in Maine's western mountains; great places to enjoy the foliage.

These days there are craft breweries all over the state. I recommend checking out www.mainebrewersguild.org for the updated beer trail map. Also www.mainewineryguild.com for wineries and cideries. Oct in Maine is apple picking time so a u-pick orchard visit with apple cider donuts is fun. Some of them also have wines and hard ciders. We would love for you to stop by Vista of Maine in Greene for Apple picking, hard cider, cider donuts, and incredible views if it fits your itinerary. https://vistaofmaine.weebly.com/

Edited: 12 February 2018, 21:17
Reply to: Honeymooning in Maine & need recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Portland
Recent Conversations