We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

playgrounds

Boston
1 post
Save Topic
playgrounds

Hi,

Not sure if the last one posted. I am traveling to Portland over Memorial Day weekend and wondered if any parents could help me out with local playgrounds for my husband and I to take the kids to for the end of the day energy buster! The kids range in age from 4-9. Any suggestions?

scituate, ma
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: playgrounds

How about the beach? There are great sandy stretches in South Portland. The area around Portland Head Light is fun to explore. Beyond the lighthouse, there are some old buildings to explore (Don't worry Mom, it's safe). Climbing around the rocks at low tide is a delight! Nothing works better than salt air and sunshine to make the little ones tired.

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: playgrounds

The Western Prom in Portland has wonderful, wide open spaces for running around, and a playground. Super views of the islands, too. Where are you staying? I can give you some more specific sites.

If it rains, the Children's Museum of Maine is tailored to that age group, and has lots of spaces to expend energy.

Absolutely true about heading to Fort Williams or Two Lights State Park in Cape Elizabeth. Fort Williams has a set of swings, but other than that, acres and acres open area, as well as those terrific old forts and the Portland Headlight lighthouse. Fantastic kite flying site (along with Bug Light Park in South Portland.)