We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Portland

California
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Portland

We are leaving for a vacation to the east coast this Monday. We will be staying in Ny and Boston. We thought we might take a day trip to Portland since we will have a rental car in Boston. Do you think this is doable? And also what is there for kids in Portland...any beaches in whick to swim/sun bathe? Also, asking for hubby...where is the best lobster meal? Thanks!

Victoria68 in California

Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Portland

Not sure how old your kids are but there is a "Children's Museum" in downtown Portland and is within walking distance of the popular "Old Port" district which is right on Portland Harbor. If you are more interested in a day at the beach you would be wiser to pick from the beaches that are south of Portland and a bit closer to Boston. York Beach is nice - Wells is good too but parking there is not great. You would have to park somewhere up on Rt. 1 and take the free trolley. One of my very favorite beaches is Ogunquit. I live in Bangor ME. The best lobster meal could be just about anywhere. I prefer it at a picnic table outdoors as it can be messy. Hope you get to Maine and enjoy it. Why not try to come up and stay overnight.. Much less rushed that way.

2. Re: Day trip to Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 18:17