We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton waterfront or Regency???

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
34 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton waterfront or Regency???

Hi there! I am coming down to Portland for a couple of nights. We will be staying the first night at the Best Western Merry Manor, but the second night I would like to stay downtown to be in stumbling distance to everything! I was looking at the Hilton Garden Inn on the waterfront, or the Regency. Any recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton waterfront or Regency???

This isn't going to help your decision-making, but after many visits, we like them both. Both are centrally located in the Old Port area. The Hilton Garden is just a hop, skip, and jump from one of our favorite restaurants---Fore Street. However, both are within easy walking distance of many of Portland's finest restaurants. Hilton Garden has rooms that overlook the bay and the activity of the Casco Bay Ferry Line. The Regency bar has arguably the best martinis in the state. What we usually do is find out which is offering the best rate for our dates, and choose that one. You can't go wrong.

Mentioned in this post
Old Port
Old Port
972 Reviews
Portland, ME
Casco Bay
Casco Bay
214 Reviews
Portland, ME
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
34 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton waterfront or Regency???

Thanks so much for your input. I think that is what I will do, see who's offering the best rate and take it from there. I appreciate your help!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton waterfront or Regency???

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn last December. The room was nice. We had a few minor problems with our reservation and room that took days for management to take care of so it soured our stay a little. Also, the continental breakfast was awful. We went to a little diner a couple blocks away that was great (the front desk recommended it to us).

Besides that, the hotel is in a great location. We walked to everything, including Fore Street which is located right next door. We had an awesome dinner. Some friends of ours also told us to try Street and Company for seafood. It's only a couple blocks away from the Hilton as well. We had a great time shopping and sight seeing in the Old Port.

Mentioned in this post
Old Port
Old Port
972 Reviews
Portland, ME
4. Re: Hilton waterfront or Regency???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 03:16