We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving Portland via Amtrak

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seymour, Indiana
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving Portland via Amtrak

We will be arriving in Portland via Amtrak and want to rent a car for sightseeing. Would it be best to go to the airport for a rental? If so, what is the best way to get there from the Amrak station?

Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving Portland via Amtrak

You can take a quick and fairly inexpensive cab trip to the airport from the Amtrak station. It's been a while since I've done it, but as I recall, it was under $10. Others may be able to give a more recent price.

Of course, the airport may not have the best rental prices. I assume you will use an internet search engine to search for rental cars and prices. When you do your searching, you might consider searching the cities of Portland, South Portland and Westbrook to see what deals may be available from the airport and elsewhere in the vicinity. I know, for example, that there is an Enterprise facility in Westbrook that is pretty close to the Amtrak station and might be worth checking out.

Maine
Level Contributor
784 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving Portland via Amtrak

Relax and let someone else do the driving. Contact Norm at Maine Day Trip for a personal tour. mainedaytrip.com

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving Portland via Amtrak

There is a city bus that runs from the Amtrak station to the Portland Jetport. If your timing is right that would be cheaper than a cab. See schedule at gpmetrobus.com/images/…2003-01-07.pdf PTC is the Portland Transportation Center (the Amtrak station)

I suspect that if you rent from the airport you'll be socked with airport taxes that you might not have to pay if the car was rented from a non-airport site. So, you might look at your non-airport options.

Enterprise advertises that they will bring a car to you. Maybe other companies will too?

4. Re: Arriving Portland via Amtrak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 06:25
Get answers to your questions about Portland
Recent Conversations