We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 aftenoon and night in October

Houston
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
1 aftenoon and night in October

Still trying to put together a leaf peeping trip in October (flexible dates..perhaps 9-17)

The working itinerary has us driving from Bar Harbor to Portland, where we will ditch the rental car and take Amtrak from Portland to Boston.

Our time in Portland will be limited to one afternoon and 1 night. Working within this limited time frame, how do you suggest we spend our time. You can eliminate shopping and art galleries.

Thanks...

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 aftenoon and night in October

Arrange to stay in the Old Port area; there are several hotels in the area, including a Hilton Garden Inn and the Portland Regency. The Old Port area is great for wandering around, even if you don't go into the shops. Or, you could take a walk on the Eastern Promenade or up to the tower on Munjoy Hill. If you get there sufficiently early in the day, check with Casco Bay Ferries (right across the street from the Hilton Garden Inn) and see what the schedule is--the bay is very interesting from the deck of one of their ferries.

Then for dinner: if you like a diverse menu and watching a large kitchen operate, go to Fore Street http://www.forestreet.biz

if you want a last evening of great seafood, try Street & Company (they are listed under the Other Restaurants on the Fore Street page)---both are within an easy walk of any of the Old Port hotels.

Louisville, KY USA
Level Contributor
158 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 aftenoon and night in October

I'll echo the previous correspondent's advice to stay in the Old Port area. I've stayed at the Portland Regency (a restored armory) and it is a nice, upscale place. From there, or from several other hotels nearby, you can walk the waterfront and find an excursion boat or just a regular Casco Bay Lines ferry to take you around the islands, on a harbor tour, or just out to Peaks Isalnd (or another) and back. You cannot do any better than spending time on casco Bay. Then at night you can enjoy one of Portland's many outstanding restaurants.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 aftenoon and night in October

MeMe, if you still have the car take a short drive south to Cape Elizabeth and visit Fort Williams State Park. See my reiview of it for pictures. Also there are many oppurtunities to tour the bay. October is late in the season but some of the boats may be running late. Also, There is a great children's museum if you have any little ones. Old Port is fun with lots of nooks and crannies to explore.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 aftenoon and night in October

r.e. the boats still running: Casco Bay Lines runs year-round (and in some pretty un-Godly weather at times). They are the regular transportation for islanders.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 aftenoon and night in October

Thank you all.

I really do want to see some of those beautiful lighhouses. Dummy question....are they best viewed from the water or land?

The ferry..are you saying we can basically use it as a tour boat of the bay?

And last question of the morning...where can I see cranberry bogs?

I am getting very excited about this trip!

Lewiston, Maine
Level Contributor
487 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 aftenoon and night in October

MeMe...

Try this:

http://www.cranberrybogtours.com/

Cheers!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 aftenoon and night in October

MeMe--

The mail boat run (Casco Bay Ferries) which as I recall is about four hours, is basically a tour of the bay, stopping at several islands.

You can see some of the lights and lighthouses on that trip. Portland Head Light in Fort William is best seen from the shore (and you can see others further out, see, e.g.,

…google.com/cwvoigt/PortlandHeadLightFortWil…

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 aftenoon and night in October

Hmmm---that url apparently didn't fit the TA format, so try this for Portland Head Light:

http://tinyurl.com/349wek

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 aftenoon and night in October

http://www.portlandheadlight.com/

Houston
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 aftenoon and night in October

Because of all your suggestions, we are spending extra time here. Thanks!