We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland vicinity

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Portland vicinity

I am flying into Portland late on a Thursday night and leaving out of Portland that same Sunday evening. I cannot seem to get a good sense of where go to that is within reasonable (1-2 hours) driving distance from Portland - I am interested in hiking/walking, being near the ocean, and am not super concerned with being in a "city."

Does anyone have any ideas? I have heard interesting things about Boothbay, and I'd love to go to Acadia but I hear that's too far.

Thank you!

Maine
Level Contributor
829 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland vicinity

Nobody's jumped on here, so I suggest you post your request on the "Maine" forum instead of "Portland". Perhaps more folks will read it, and you'll get some responses. Good luck!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland vicinity

I think either Boothbay or Camden would be what you're looking for.

Lancaster...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland vicinity

I lived in southern Maine for most of my life - and in Portland for quite a while as an adult - the beauty of Portland is that you have it all at your fingertips - go south and you are going to hit the major tourist, sandy beach areas of the state - if you want ocean, beach and sand...head south, I would get off at Old Orchard Beach, but follow the signs for Ocean Park - when you are too hot on the sand, you can go get an ice cream in the center of town.

Head North and you can get to Campden and Boothby Harbour - gorgeous rocky coast, it's what people think of when they hear "coast of Maine."

Head West - you are only about 2 hours from Lake Winnipesaukee and the White Mountains - wonderful hiking opportunites (of course, by going west, you are going away from the Ocean)

Then finally - you can head east and when I say east I mean into Casco Bay - there are tons of "tourist boats" and "real people" ferrys that leave Portland Harbour everyday for the islands of Casco Bay - the island are all different and there is definite seculsion & quiet.

As you plan, don't count Portland out - it's not your typical city, it's got a smaller town New England feel - incredible food and a decent night light (Maine's drinking laws cause things to shut down a little earlier than other areas of the country) On Peaks Island, on certain nights of the week there is great entertainement - take the ferry (just be sure to catch the last one back to the mainland) There is also Portland Light House (one of the world's most photographed and a beautiful vista) If you cross the river to Cape Elizabeth, check out Joe's Boathouse in South Portland - incredible food!

One word to the wise - the downfall of Maine is that there a very few roads that head north and south - and if you are there during peak tourist season, you are bound to meet one of the other million of drivers taking in the sights - so if the map says two hours, you may need to budget closer to 2 and 1/2 or 3, to be safe. Worth drive - YES!! But just be ready with the tunes in the CD player, and patience.

4. Re: Portland vicinity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Portland
Recent Conversations