We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Routes from Portland to Eastport

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sd
Level Contributor
287 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Routes from Portland to Eastport

We will be traveling via car Sep 19th from Portland to Eastport. We plan to attend the Common Ground Country Fair in Unity.

It looks like we will drive thru Augusta and then take Hwy 9. Looking for suggestions for a route from Portland to Augusta and about how long will this take from Portland to Unity.

From Unity we plan to continue on Hwy 9. Is it best to go to Wesley and then drop down to Machias? We are looking forward to having a relax drive and see the Fall foliage. From Unity how much time should we figure to reach Eastport? Also, any great places shall we add to our itinery? And what suggestions for places to eat? Thanks in advance.

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Routes from Portland to Eastport

Mapquest says 1 hr 39 minutes from Portland to Unity. Mapquest routes you from I-95 to Fairfield and east on 139. I would not take Mapquest's suggestion.

Instead, I would recommend taking Rte 3 from Augusta (I-95 Exit 113) to the split with Rte 202 to China, Albion, and Unity.

Starting from Portland, take I-295 (not I-95/Turnpike). This will terminate/merge back to I-95 near Gardiner, and then north to Augusta.

I can certainly recommend detours for scenery and eateries but this is the most direct route.

One detour would be to get off I-295 in Gardiner (Exit 49) to downtown Gardiner and then Rte 27/201 along the Kennebec river thru Farmingdale and Hallowell. You can then loop back to I-95 in Augusta or continue on 201 to Rte 3. Good places to eat include A-1 Diner in Gardiner and Liberal Cup in Hallowell.

2. Re: Routes from Portland to Eastport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 02:17