We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel , dinner, cruise question

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
101 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
hotel , dinner, cruise question

My daughter (24) and I are going to Portland for two nights and I have tentative reservations at the Hampton inn and the Fairfield Inn. Is one better than the other?

Second--We would like to enjoy a lobster dinner outside with view. I read the posts where Joe's is better food. Any other suggestions? We have a car, of course.

Third--We would also like to take a boat ride and I have read about the harbor ferries. What would you suggest? Do we need reservations?

thanks so much for the help.

Bobbi

Maine
Level Contributor
829 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel , dinner, cruise question

Both Inns are in the airport/mall area in nearby Scarborough or South Portland. I don't believe you'll find much difference between the two. Reviews on TA give the nod to Hampton Inn.

I wouldn't do Joe's Boathouse for lobster. I'd stick with the paper-plate-type places like Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth or Portland Lobster Company. No beer/wine at the Lobster Shack if that matters.

www.portlandlobstercompany.com/index.html

http://lobstershacktwolights.com/

The Casco Bay Lines boats go back and forth all day to six islands ferrying people and their gear, and you can take the ferries just for the ride. No reservations, just decide how long a ride you want - less than an hour (Peaks Island and back) up to 3+ hours (Cliff Island and back.)

There are also lots of sailing & sightseeing excursions available in the vicinity of CBL.

Maine
Level Contributor
724 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel , dinner, cruise question

If you are looking for lobster with a view, it would be the Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth or take the ferry to Peaks Island and eat at the Inn on peaks island. www.theinnonpeaksisland.com.

Casco Bay lines located on Commercial St. goes to all the islands. There is a mailboat run to the major islands, but beware it is a long day and bring food. WWW.cascobaylines.com You pay to go to the islands, the locals gladly let you leave for free.

Maine
Level Contributor
64 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel , dinner, cruise question

The lobster shack is BYO beer and wine.

CT
Level Contributor
45 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel , dinner, cruise question

The Salt Water Grille is right on the water on the other side of the bridge in Portland. Great view, sit outside on the deck, and the food is good also. The Lobster shack in Cape Elizabeth is more lowkey, eat at picnic tables right on the rocks by the ocean. Just watch out for the seagulls that swoop down to steal your food.

The boat cruise I'd recommend is by Eagle Island tours, or Mainely tours (the same company). You can hop a 11:30, 1:30 or 3:30 cruise around the nearby lighthouses, or take the evening sunset cruise. They will narrate and cater more to tourists than the Casco Bay ferry, which is more of a commuter boat than a tour.

5. Re: hotel , dinner, cruise question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 23:21