We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getaway Weekend Trip

Boston, Ma
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getaway Weekend Trip

Hi,

I'm planning a getaway trip for my boyfriend and myself in late April. I booked a hotel in the old port area and was hoping you would be able to provide me with ideas of what we can do.

Any ideas about activities would be greatly appreciated, we want to see what Maine has to offer. We don't only have to stay in Portland, I was thinking Freeport might be a nice visit. Some ideas of things I thought we could do were hiking, museums and definitely having good lobster. Any suggestions where?

Thanks

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,936 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getaway Weekend Trip

This site should get you started for Portland:

http://www.portlandmaine.com/

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getaway Weekend Trip

Perhaps the best lobster is at Street & Company, where the whole lobster is served on a bed of linguini in garlic sauce. The martinis at the Armory Lounge in the Portland Regency are world class.

Freeport is only about a 25-minute drive. The Azure Cafe is a great place for lunch.

Portland has a network of hiking/walking trails:

www.trails.org/map_files/existingtrails.html

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getaway Weekend Trip

As you probably know, LL Bean's flagship store is in Freeport. They offer a variety of half-day and day long outdoor adventures (e.g. learn to snowshoe, archery, etc.) Some you need rez for, others are "walk-ins welcome). Check their website for April's offerings.

Nearby is Wolfe's Neck State Park (15 min drive from downtown Freeport) which has very nice hiking trails along the Casco Bay coastline.

In Portland is Portland Art Museum, Longfellow House (Maine History Museum?), Friday night Artwalks, and the working waterfront (not quite a museum yet:-)

Check mainetoday.com for calendar of events, etc.

Boston, Ma
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Getaway Weekend Trip

Thank you so much for your advice, I'm going this weekend and can't wait!

Maine
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Getaway Weekend Trip

So how was your visit to Portland? You picked a good weekend - it finally felt like summer!

6. Re: Getaway Weekend Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2009, 04:30