We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Real Estate Agent Recommendations

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Real Estate Agent Recommendations

Hello,

My partner will be interviewing for a job in Portland in the near future and we are contemplating relocating to Portland in the spring. We are interested in buying a condo and we would like to contact a real estate agent who could show us around the area. Could anyone suggest a reputiable real estate company or agent in the area? Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thank you!

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Real Estate Agent Recommendations

I just bought in June, but I bought in Brunswick, which is 30 minutes from Maine, so I can't tell you about Portland agents. I would highly recommend reading a book for first time homeowners if this is your first. The main thing you need to know is that under real estate law, the agent, even YOUR agent, is working for the seller, not you, and that as far as you are concerned he/she is a mere commisionsed salesman. You really need to do your own homework to protect your own interests. I started out with an agent, she didn't so such a good job, we parted ways, and I found my own house as a for sale by owner. I hired my own attorney to help me close and he really did work for me as a true agent. I was much happier with that arrangement and paid him less than I wold have paid an agent in commissions.

There are some terrific condos and apartments in Portland that look right out over the harbor. Those are perfect for professional couples. I'd suggest renting first, then once you are established and know the area better you can pinpoint exactly where you'd lke to buy. There are so many options in Portland, but in the past good property has moved fast, so it really helps if you are here renting and can stop and look at new stuff as it comes onto the market. South Portland also has waterside condos. It's a hip place to live.

The busiest selling season in Maine is the summer. Folks want to move when their kids are not in school.

Sign up at NewEnglandMoves.com to get an idea of prices and locations. This gives you more info than Realtor.com as you can get actual street addresses. (If you click through to photos or schedule a showing you can get exact addresses.)

Good luck, welcome to the Great State of Maine!

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Real Estate Agent Recommendations

Actually, in Maine you can work with a Buyer's Agent, who is legally beholden to represent your interests, not the seller's. Most agencies have Buyer's Reps, just specify that's what you want when you contact an agency. There's no fee involved for you, the seller's agent splits his/her commission with them.

These guys are personal friends, but I've also worked with them professionally and can recommend to you:

Peter Thornton of Mulkern Assoc. (207) 791-0198

Laurie Wildes of Port Island Realty (207) 232-0758

Albany, OR
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Real Estate Agent Recommendations

Is Maine a "full disclosure" state?

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Real Estate Agent Recommendations

If you expect your agent to be a buyer's agent, best to get in fully disclosed in writing ahead of tme so that you know exactly what is entailed.

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Real Estate Agent Recommendations

motherrobyn: Yes, there are very strict realtor regulations in Maine. Every client is given the full disclosure document before the agent can do anything.

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Real Estate Agent Recommendations

You will LOVE living in Portland!! There are some great condo complexes in Portland and SouthPo. As well as some condo/townhouses/ brownstone type places that are converted from older buildings. Park Street is a great one! Also the west end and along the marina's on both sides.

Albany, OR
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Real Estate Agent Recommendations

Thank you, Maine-ah! Just to be clear (since I wasn't earlier), I'm assuming that we're both talking about full disclosure of any defects in the house?

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Real Estate Agent Recommendations

motherrobyn: That's different than what I was referring to; thanks for the follow up. (There's also a disclosure the agent is required to give you disclosing whose interests he/she is representing.) When someone lists a house with an agent, yes, they're required to disclose any "known" defects or problems. Trouble is, the listing agent has no way of knowing if they're being fully honest. One would hope, but there's bound to be a bad apple occasionally! The best defense is to have a home inspection by a professional before closing, a favorable inspection being a condition of sale. This is a standard practice nowadays.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Real Estate Agent Recommendations

Hey motherrobyn, if you buy something in the Brunswick area, use Len Westra as your home inspector. He is incredibly thorough. I was incredibly pleased with his inspection.

Albany, OR
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Real Estate Agent Recommendations

Maine-ah, thanks. I was thinking that maybe we were talking about two different things. I would get a professional inspection anyway, but I wondered if I would have any recourse if the sellers didn't disclose something.

MicheleS, thanks for the tip.