We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must go to restaurants

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Missouri
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Must go to restaurants

My husband and I will be in Portland for three days in July before traveling to Bar Harbor. After looking at travel books and on here, there seems to be no shortage for restaurants. What are the top five must go to places to eat in Portland? I'm not looking for fine dinner or anything that will cost $$$. I would like to stay in the $60 and cheaper range if possible. Any suggestions for breakfast, lunch and dinner would be appreciated.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must go to restaurants

There is certainly no shortage of restaurants. I would look in the restaurant section here on TA and on sites like yelp.com

We enjoyed Street & Company - Lobster Diavlo for 2 is amazing and a good price

For Breakfast check out: Bintliff's American Cafe and Hot Suppa. Both were really good, good coffee, and creative menus. Both had really good homemade corn beef hash.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must go to restaurants

Also, for some of the best french fries ever check out Duck Fat. They are fried in duck fat and are amazing. They have paninis and other stuff as well but you must have the fries if you go there

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,796 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must go to restaurants

Wow. $60? Dinner for two? Is that with or without wine or drinks or dessert?

I could name the top five "must go" restaurants in Portland but they would be "fine dinner" and cost more than $60 for two people.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must go to restaurants

The Portland Press Herald has a great dining guide that outlines what's available in different price ranges:

www.pressherald.com/special/Dining_Guide.html

While there are definitely expensive places on people's "must-eat" lists, you will see that there are many choices that fit your budget. Becky's Diner is a good breakfast spot. Right near there is a new Mexican restaurant in a former gas station that everyone's raving about. Sorry - I can't remember the name, but I'm sure it's on the link above.

J's Oyster is a favorite of ours:

http://www.jsoyster.com/

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must go to restaurants

The OP didn't say whether $60 was per person or for two. A lot of great restaurants will give you a great meal for less than $60 per person. At Street & Co, the lobster diavlo is the most expensive thing and it is $43 for two people. Most entrees are $18-27 for one. Walter's has entrees from 19-25, pasta dishes are less.

If you did mean $60 for two, the Merry Table is a French-style creperie, tasty and not expensive. Silly's has an eclectic but tasty menu.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must go to restaurants

Would echo the recommendation of Becky's Diner for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It's "one of those places the locals go", has a nice variety ot items, and won't cost you an arm and a leg.

For a somewhat different experience, you might check the website for DiMillo's Floating Restaurant:

http://www.dimillos.com/restaurant/index.html

Before the other local Destination Expert's climb on my case, I'll be the first to admit that there's finer dining in Portland, but what makes DiMillio's unique is the setting -- a converted ferryboat that is literally a floating dining room. You can look out the windows at other boats moored nearby, feel the swell as a large ship passes in the harbor, and enjoy some fairly decent Maine seafood.

Another personal favorite of mine is the Two Lights Lobster Shack, a short drive away in Cape Elizabeth. You can eat in their dining room or take your meal out to one of their picnic tables atop the rocky coast and watch lobstermen check their traps as you eat. Again -- there's "finer dining" in-town, but the setting is truly unique.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must go to restaurants

Actually, DiMillo's has pretty good food. And I agree - the setting is worth a visit.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must go to restaurants

Caiola's for brunch; Fore Street (but to keep it at $60 for two you will probably need to keep it to a couple of apps and drinks at the bar - still, the food is incredibly good). Second the Duck Fat suggestion: the fries are really rich. Here is another tip: very close to Duck Fat there is an Italian grocery store with a bakery at the back. The fresh bread from that bakery is pure ambrosia and will amaze you ( the pastry is pretty delicious too). I can't remember the name of it, but if you are standing in front of Duck Fat looking at the street, it is on the road to your left.

Derry, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
59 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must go to restaurants

Just to comment on DeMillos, I think the food is decent, although no, it's not the best in town. However, they also offer a reasonably-priced lunch menu, so even if all you want is a burger for lunch, you're still able to check out the setting and view without dropping a ton of $$ for dinner.

USA
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must go to restaurants

For all you need to know about restaurants in Portland, go to www.portlandfoodmap.com. It is organized by cuisine and has links to know reviews and articles. The top restaurants are also identified.