We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland in mid-August

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
321 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Portland in mid-August

I have never been to Portland, Maine before.

I would like to visit but I was wondering what is there to do there. I like food, culture and outdoor activities.

Is there any hiking in the area for day trips ? There must be hiking and whale watching - right. I am a single traveler with no kids.

Any suggestions please for a 4-5 day trip ?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland in mid-August

Suspect the lack of immediate responses may be due to the multiple possible answers to your questions.....

Food? At one time a few years ago, Portland was rated as having "more restaurants per capita than any other city in the country." Great choices range from five-star "dining" to chowder houses and diners on the watefront.

Hiking? Nothing right in town except a very scenic pedestrian path that completely encircles Portland's Back Bay -- great break from the in-the-city feel. Within easy driving distance, Bradbury Mountain State Park offers some nice hikes. You can Google it for more info.

There is at least one whale watching company (Odyssey) operating out of Portland, but since I've never cruised with them I won't comment further.

Other great things to do in or near Portland, depending on your interests, include: the botiques, shops and restaurants of the Old Port District (redeveloped former warehouse district complete with brick sidewalks); Portland Head Light lighthouse in nearby Cape Elizabeth (Google it for sample photo opportunities); Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge is a short drive away; Portland Museum of Art is a nice one; Victoria Mansion and Edward Wadsworth Longfellow House; Portland Observatory; Portland Sea Dogs minor league affiliate to the Boston Red Sox (great, comfortable, friendly ball park with great prices); Casco Bay Lines ferries offer multiple opportunities to "get out on the water" at reasonable prices; ... lots more...

Check out the Visit Portland website at:

http://www.visitportland.com/

Come......enjoy....

Maine
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland in mid-August

Portland Trails has several nice trails they maintain within Portland. They are all easy hikes but some are very scenic.

http://www.trails.org/

If you've got a car there is much more interesting hiking to be had within an hour or so of Portland.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
300 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland in mid-August

A book can be written on things to do in this area. For hiking, the trails around Portland are great. Just north of the city is Mackworth Island, accessible by a causeway. There is a trail that goes around the circumference of the island. About 1.5 hours drive is White Mountain National Forest with it's numerous trails.

For culture, we enjoy a wonderful art museum for a city of this size. On July 31 is Festival of Nations, celebrating the cultures of the people who live in Portland. There are also many art galleries in the city. Don't know what is a happening musically when you are here.

As has been mentioned, food is one of the main attractions of this city. There are numerous local restaurants, some that have been featured in national publications and on national television programs. In addition are the numerous corner take out sandwich/pizza shops. These are in just about every neighborhood. The highest concentration of restaurants are in the Old Port and Congress St arts district of Portland. Avoid the Mall area, unless you're into chain restaurants. Finally on Mondays and Wednesdays downtown and Saturday in Deering Oaks Park is the nationally acclaimed farmer's market. The vendors are all from locally owned farms, many of them organic. Many restaurants buy their fresh produce at the market.

I hope you come and visit our great city. I don't feel you will be disappointed.

Missouri
Level Contributor
165 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland in mid-August

We found this site to be helpful - http://www.visitportland.com

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
321 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland in mid-August

Thanks for you responses. What is the weather like in mid-September to late, please ?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland in mid-August

In general, September can be the best time of the year to be in Portland -- at least in my opinion. Temperatures are cooler than mid-summer, but still very pleasant. Humidity is lower than it's been in months. And the nights have just a touch of "cool" in their temperatures. Most of the time in September, you'll be quite comfortable in a long-sleeved shirt.....and perhaps a light jacket.

For more specific info, check this website:

www.wunderground.com/US/ME/Portland.html

Part way down the left-hand side of the page is a link for "Weather History for this Location." Plug in the date(s) you're interested in and get a full weather history.

7. Re: Portland in mid-August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 05:18