We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant suggestions?

Montrose, PA
Level Contributor
278 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant suggestions?

We will be in Portland next weekend to attend a wedding on the island. We are staying at the Regency from Fri afternoon until Sunday afternoon. Any suggestions for breakfast? I have made tentative reservations at Old Port Sea Grill for Fri night. The bride to be suggested that restaurant along with Street & Co (completely booked), Fore St (only very late and very early times - wont work for us) and Salt Water Grill. We would be interested in a steak/seafood type establishment. I have read the forums and will check yelp and chowhound also. I know there are great restaurants in Portland and wish we had more days to explore the city.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant suggestions?

If you're looking for a "non-fancy", good, basic but filling breakfast, Becky's Diner on Commercial Street is a local favorite.... You may find yourself seated next to local fishermen, local politicians, local families, or other folks who "just happened to hear about it.' No pretentions here -- but be prepared....unless you get there quite early, you'll probably stand in line for a while....but it's worth the wait.

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant suggestions?

Breakfast: The Porthole; Marcy's.

Dinner: The Grill Room,

Level Contributor
746 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant suggestions?

Grill room is good.....Walter's is good...also keep trying Street and Co...maybe tell them you are a doctor..it has worked in the past..they also make take walk ins...I think it is the best for seafood. Sea Grille is so-so in my opinion.

Level Contributor
126 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant suggestions?

Becky's Diner quickly became my favorite. All around great food and some of the friendliest people I have ever met. Truly a must try for anyone visiting Portland!

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant suggestions?

Just curious: any reason you don't trust the recommendation of the bride to be?

I have eaten at Walter's and OP Sea Grille once each and had great meals. Never eaten at the Grill Room.

You can't go wrong with Becky's although Portland has an amazing number of good breakfast places, almost as many as varieties of beer we have. ;^)

6. Re: Restaurant suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2011, 05:18