We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Portland to Kennebunkport

USA
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Portland to Kennebunkport

We are going on a cruise that stops in Portland , Maine and would like t visit Kennebunkport, but do not like the excursions offered. Is there any public transportation that we could use to go from Portland to Kennebunkport?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,180 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Portland to Kennebunkport

Bluemoon --

I held off responding to this in hopes that someone who lives closer to the Kennebunkport area than I do would respond.... But since they haven't..... To the best of my knowledge, there is no generally-scheduled public transportation that will get you from Portland to Kennebunkport and back.

Last I knew, there was at least one local Trolley for getting around town once you got to Kennebunkport, but no inter-city service to get you into town rom other places. Even the Portland-Boston bus routes bypass the small coastal communities.

If you really want to get to Kennebunkport, a nice little coastal community, and don't want to take the cruise-offered tour, your best bet is probably going to be to rent a car for the day and drive it yourself. I have no idea how the costs will compare -- haven't rented a car locally in years.

Ironically, there was a piece on the local news yesterday announcing a proposal to create a bus service between Kennebunk and Portland, but, even if it's approved, it won't take effect until 2012, and even then, will be aimed promarily at commuters.

USA
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Portland to Kennebunkport

Thank you very much for your response. As much as I would like to visit Kennebunkport, we are going to stay around the Portland area and make the most out of it with the Trolley and the Steam train and of course a great Lobster lunch . I am an artist and I am sure I will find some great galleries to visit. I hope the weather improves and we are rocking and rolling on that cruise ship!!!!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,180 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Portland to Kennebunkport

Am not intimately familiar with Portland art galleries....but did find the following list, which may or may not be useful to you --

www.portlandmaine.com/index.php?sec=7&cat=5

Only place on the list I've ever visited was the Portland Museum of Art -- but, to my humble eye, I found it extremely enjoyable and well done -- and people who know more about art than I do often praise it.....

Many of the galleries on the list will be within walking distance of the cruise pier.....so stroll your way through the Old Port district -- have a great lunch at one of the great restaurants there (lots of good choices - go with whichever menu catches your eye) -- and enjoy Portland.

You don't say when you're coming, but tonight's television news predicted a fairly nice week for next week (Oct 3-8).....

USA
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Portland to Kennebunkport

Thank you Thank you Than k you

the good news about the weather really makes me feel better,

we are going Oct 23 and visiting portland Oct 24

I cant wait to go to the Museum of Art and get inspired by the NorthEastern Artists

Can you tell me anything about the town of Sussex and the Covered bridges around there? This is close to St John but I read there are Murals painted by local artist but I have not seen any review of these town. Thank you so much , you must be a travel advisor!!!!!!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,191 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Portland to Kennebunkport

I am guessing that you mean St. John, New Brunswick. If so, here's a link to artists in that area:

new-brunswick.net/Saint_John/…locarts.html

And a link for the covered bridges in Sussex:

new-brunswick.net/new-brunswick/…bridges.html

Does your cruise go there?

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,191 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Portland to Kennebunkport

I tried to add this to my previous post, but ran out of time:

When you are at the Portland Museum of Art, you are near several of the galleries on Congress Street (the list given you by MainerOnTheGo). As you are also a mural fan, there are several outdoor murals on buildings in Portland. I tried to locate an online resource that lists these, but could not. One will be diagonally across Congress from the Art Museum on the wall of the Eastland Hotel. There are two or three in the Old Port and a large whale mural on the waterfront.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,180 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Portland to Kennebunkport

As noted by CB, the only Sussex I'm aware of is in New Brunswick, Canada. but I think he's given you some good info to get you started. You might also want to put up a post in the New Brunswick Forum (just click Forums-Canada-New Brunswick from the TA homepage) to see if the locals there can offer more help.

Weather October 23-24 is still a bit far out to predict with any certainty -- I'd anticipate a combination of sun and perhaps some showers -- Fall weather in Maine can be unpredictable -- but we always get some brilliant, crips sunny days, and some showers...just hard to tell which will arrive when more than 24-36 hours ahead of time.

8. Re: Transportation from Portland to Kennebunkport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Portland
Recent Conversations