We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay In Portland Maine

Erie, PA
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay In Portland Maine

Hi,

We would like to stay in an area where we can walk anywhere we need to go. I've been to all the travel sites and I just don't know what hotel to book or what location. I would like to be near the water if possible.

We are only traveling for 4 days. We are flying in to Portland from Pittsburgh, PA and we will not be renting a car.

I'm open to any suggestions or ideas.

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay In Portland Maine

The "walk anywhere" area of Portland is called the "old Port" district. The major hotels in the area are the Hilton Garden, The Regency, the Portland Harbor. A touch farther (but still walkable) are the Marriott, Holiday Inn by the Bay, and Eastland.

The Old Port comprises the "working waterfront" area, and "restored" historic district of shops/restaurants/galleries, etc.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,767 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay In Portland Maine

HD is right -- the "Old Port" area is the place to be based on the criteria you're looking for. Just one word of caution -- the Eastland Park has been recently sold and the new owners have announced plans for fairly extensive internal rennovations -- no timetable for that work yet, but something to keep in mind. Eastland would also be the longest walk from the heart of the Old Port area, so wouldn't be the top choice on my list anyway....

For a snapshot description of the Old Port, check out

http://www.portlandmaine.com/index.php?sec=5

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay In Portland Maine

On our visits to Portland, we typically stay at the Portland Regency but as others have noted there are several in the Old Port area. The Residence Inn, the newest of them, has received good reviews. The one closest to the water is the Hilton Garden---directly across Commercial Avenue from the Casco Bay Ferry Terminal (and the ferry/mailboat run is great way to spend part or all of a day).

If you are iterested in walking, Portland has developed a series of trails, see:

www.trails.org/map_files/existingtrails.html

The Eastern Prom and Back Cove trails are very nice.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay In Portland Maine

If you were bringing a car, I'd suggest the Holiday Inn because I hate paying for parking! Although it's a little out of the Old Port, it's very close to the Civic Center and the Art Museum, as well as the arts district. We've stayed there several times - nothing fancy, but not a motel-type stay either.

We recently stayed at the Residence Inn and really liked our room. If you want to save a little money by eating in sometimes, there is a full-sized fridge, stove-top, microwave, dishes, etc. Our room was immaculate. It's a little past the Old Port, but walkable. I think they also run a shuttle in town. If you had a car, you'd pay to park, but it has in-and-out privileges.

5. Re: Where to stay In Portland Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 08:23