We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Combining Portland and Lake visit

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington...
2 posts
Save Topic
Combining Portland and Lake visit

Hi,

My wife and I are planning a four or five day vacation to the Portland area at the end of July. I really like the idea of staying lakeside (e.g., Sebago lake) while doing all the" touristy" things in and around the city. That might mean spending a typical morning at the llake and coming to town in the afternoon for a dinner and show. Is it feasible to enjoy the city/scenery using a lakeside rental as a base of operations? We would have a rental car. Thanks.

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Combining Portland and Lake visit

Yes very feasible to use Sebago as base w/ trips into the *big city* for fine dining, museums, rainy day activities, etc.

You could also plan daytrips into Mountains or coastal areas from there.

Maine
Level Contributor
888 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Combining Portland and Lake visit

I would say that it is feasible. How feasible might depend on where on the lake you choose to stay. If you stay on the northern side of the lake you will be adding roughly a half hour drive time over staying on the south side of the lake.

Many people commute to work in Portland from this area so it is well within reach for you to use this as a base for trips in town.

If you stay on the north side and use Rt 302 for your drive to Portland, then be advised the the traffic can back up going through the North Windham area, especially on the weekends. (Or I should say, the traffic can be bad here for us locals, but may be nothing for you since you're coming from the Arlington/DC area) :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Combining Portland and Lake visit

Lakeside rentals are generally 7 days in July/ August. Especially on the more popular lakes like Sebago.

Arlington...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Combining Portland and Lake visit

Yes, I was thinking of different types of day trips. Last year we went to Lake Morey in N.H. The water temp was surprisingly pleasant. However, there was nothing else to do. Is there any chance of finding Sebago lake tolerable or must one be a polar bear to enjoy it?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
860 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Combining Portland and Lake visit

End of July Sebago should be nice and warm. Staying on the lake and going into Portland is an easy commute. I live in Sebago area and travel to Portland almost daily.Straight down Rt302 which turns into Forest Ave in Portland. Straight shot from the lake to intown Portland.

6. Re: Combining Portland and Lake visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 05:17