We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is the Best Time to Visit Portland Maine

Greenville, South...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
When is the Best Time to Visit Portland Maine

We are thinking of traveling to Portland, Maine in August or September and touring around Maine. When would you recommend we visit?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,852 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When is the Best Time to Visit Portland Maine

Depends a bit on what you want to do while you're here and what kind of weather you prefer....

Traditionally, August is the hottest or second hottest month of the year, usually with high humidity as well. By mid-September, temperatures have generally started to moderate a bit and so has the humidity.

It used to be that many of the attractions, lodgings and restaurants in the most popular destinations used to start their seasonal shutdowns right after Labor Day weekend.....but that's no longer the case because the Fall Foliage season (late September - early October) has created a secondary tourism peak that businesses want to stay open for....

My personal preference would be for September....probably the later in the month the better just because the weather is generally much more comfortable -- at least for my taste. But, depending on your destination within the state, I'm not sure you can go wrong either way.

Greenville, South...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: When is the Best Time to Visit Portland Maine

This is great information - thank you so much for the quick response!

Maine
Level Contributor
893 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: When is the Best Time to Visit Portland Maine

I will second September. Less crowded, beautiful weather. If you want to swim, then the water temp is at its warmest (having had all summer to heat up to a balmy 65 degrees or so).