Hello: My 13yo son and I are flying into Portland this week and I've been so busy I haven't planned anything except renting a car. We have a full week and aside from going to Pemaquid Point to see the lighthouse I don't know what else we should do. We definitely don't want to do Old Orchard Beach etc.. and would prefer to go north.
I'd like to drive up to Pemaquid after we fly into Portland, spend a few days north and spend about 2 days in Portland at the end. Everything is fair game in between. I don't want to drive more than 1.5 hours from Portland. We're not the hiking type so nothing to strenuous.
Some things I'd like to do:
1. Whale watch or lobster boat ride
2. Get a taste for true Maine culture
3. Experience some sights (like Pemaquid) my son would like
4. Would love to go on a Moose tour if not too far.
5. Would love suggestions for non-touristy restaurants in and around Portland. We like going where locals go, not tourists.
6. Get an idea of hotels we can stay in, preferably not B&Bs that aren't kid friendly.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!