We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is on the islands when you take Casco Bay Lines?

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
What is on the islands when you take Casco Bay Lines?

We will be in Portland at the end of December. This is a first time for us, so we want to take in all that we can of the area. On my researches of the area, I came across Casco Bay Lines. I was just curious as to what is on the islands if you take the boat? Is there anything worth site seeing or doing on these islands in December? Thanks!

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is on the islands when you take Casco Bay Lines?

Some of these islands have year-round residents who commute via ferry. Peaks Island, for example, has a few destination restaurants/hotels plus bike paths, hiking trails, etc. Getting out on the water can be fun, but generally much more enjoyable in warm weather (i.e. not in late Dec).

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is on the islands when you take Casco Bay Lines?

One of the local newspapers ran a supplement this summer describing "the Islands of Casco Bay" -- I condensed their listing into the following general descriptions.....

-- Peaks Island The area adjacent to the ferry pier has shops, cafes, restaurants, bike and kayak rentals, and inns....many, but not all of which, are seasonal and operate only during the warm-weather months. This is one of the more populated, and more visited, islands in the Bay.

-- Little Diamond Island is basically all privately owned. No real public facilities, stores etc. Riding past it does offer great views of historic seaside homes.

-- Great Diamond Island Most of the north side of Great Diamond is privately owned, but is also home to Diamond's Edge Restaurant....other than that, not real reason to stop here.

-- Long Island Known for South Beach...a 15 minute walk from the ferry terminal.

-- Chebeague Served by both Casco Bay Lines and Chebeague Transportation Company in Yarmouth. Island Inn (with 9-hole links-style golf course) closer to Chebeague Trans Company pier on east end of island. Casco Bay ferry lands at west end. Year-round taxi service available.

-- Cliff Island No public facilities or public access to beach or waterfront areas. Store adjacent to ferry terminal for quick off-and-right-back-on drink or food...but don't miss the boat -- can be a long wait for the next one.

Some of all of the businesses listed above may or may not be open in December....so I'd check directly with the business, or with the Casco Bay Lines ticket agent before basing my trip-on-the-bay on a particular destination.

If you're dressed warmly and enjoy being outdoors, a trip around the Bay on the mail-boat run (see Casco Bay Lines website for details) can be a fun activity for a sunny winter's day -- the ferries also offer sheltered, indoor areas as well as the open-air decks.

New England
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is on the islands when you take Casco Bay Lines?

This is great info. I know on some forums they have a section to the right with questions that are "Top questions" . As a DE could you start that section and put that there? Thanks.

4. Re: What is on the islands when you take Casco Bay Lines?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2012, 10:19