We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need feedback/suggestions for our August trip

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Need feedback/suggestions for our August trip

Our family of 4 is planning to head to the Portland area for 3 nights mid to late August for a little family getaway before school starts (dates are flexible).

We were hoping to stay somewhere around $100 a night, but that's not looking likely based on my research last night. We don't need anything fancy or smack in the middle of everything as we'll have our car; just a clean place to shower and sleep. We don't have anything specific planned for this trip yet- we just want to do some nature exploring, enjoy some lobster, maybe take a boat ride. Someone suggested we stay in Ogunquit or Kennebunkport and drive into Portland for the day instead...does it sound like that would be a better plan for us? Any suggestions on where to stay that would be more in our price range? It looks like I can get a hotel for $86 in Portland on Hotwire (think it's La Quinta) but not sure I want to lock myself in.

Thanks in advance!

Maine
Level Contributor
894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need feedback/suggestions for our August trip

It may be tough to find something at that rate in the summer. The hotels outside of downtown Portland will overall be less expensive than the downtown hotels.

You could take a look at South Portland - Maine Mall/Airport area. Plenty of chain hotels here and a quick 10 minute drive to downtown.

If your focus is on Portland I wouldn't stay in Ogunquit or Kennebunkport. I wouldn't think you'd find the hotels less expensive. In fact they most likely will be more expensive as they are popular destinations. Plus you'll have a 30-45 minute drive into Portland (that's with no traffic). Traffic in both Ogunquit and Kennebunkport can be very slow at times. (Small towns, single lane roads and lots of tourists = a place I avoid if at all possible).

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,387 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need feedback/suggestions for our August trip

You could try staying just north of Portland in Freeport. Freeport is the home of L.L.Bean's flagship store. It has many outlet stores but still has a real town center with sidewalks, shops, and places to eat. It looks like The Super 8 motel there has rooms for less than $100. It's a nice safe town and just a quick zip of 15 minutes down the interstate to get to Portland.

The Great State of...
Level Contributor
404 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need feedback/suggestions for our August trip

Definitely do not stay in Ogunquit or Kennebunkport unless that is your ultimate destination. Route 1 will be choked in August.

if you're at all amenable to going inland, you might find more nature to explore--and lower lodging rates. See, e.g, http://norsemaninn.com/main/rates/ Just an idea....

4. Re: Need feedback/suggestions for our August trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 07:42