We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dowtown Portland

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
370 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Dowtown Portland

We are planning a visit to the NE in June and are looking for a place to stay in downtown Portland. The Hilton is too expensive is there something more reasonable ($150-$200/night)? Any other suggestions on "must see's" or a great place to have a drink or two would be appreciated. Thanks!

Southern New...
Level Contributor
511 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dowtown Portland

The Holiday Inn in downtown and the Merry Manor in So Portland should fit the dollar you mention.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dowtown Portland

If you are going to stay in "downtown" Portland, it would be great if you were in walking distance of the Old Port, which you are not at the two hotels mentined above. Check out the other hotels on Tripadvisor and check them against Mapquest for how close they are to the intersection of Exchange and Fore, which is sort of the dead center of Old Port shopping and eating.

Sometimes in early June you can find great web rates at the last minute. Maybe you can make reservations (that can be cancelled) somewhere they watch for online specials.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dowtown Portland

Hi IrelandBound,

You might want to try www.visitmaine.com. Once there, click on acommodations, Portland area, and a list of B&B's, hotels, will appear. You'll also find a section on what to see, lists of restaurants, etc. It's a great site to visit for planning a trip to Maine :).

cozyharbor

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dowtown Portland

I'm flabbergasted at the Hilton Garden Inn's prices. They've really found a niche right on the waterfront. Checked some rates for 3 other hotels for the weekend of June 9-11. The Holiday Inn Portland - By the Bay is 3-4 blocks from the Old Port. Starting at $150 a night here. There is another Holiday Inn on the outskirts of town which you don't want.

The Regency Hotel starts around $209, as does the Portland Harbor Hotel. Both of these are in the middle of the Old Port.

www.theregency.com

www.portlandharborhotel.com

Great fun at RiRa Irish Pub and Three Dollar Dewey's, both on Commercial Street. Actually, there are bunches of pubs in the area, and half the fun is wandering around finding them!

Read through some of the previous postings on Portland over the past few months. You should get some great ideas!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dowtown Portland

In my experience, the Hilton Garden Inn prices vary quite a bit. I've paid as little as $134 and as much as $194. I've never paid over $200. I sometimes keep checking back to their online reservations until I find a price I like.