We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Foliage trip

Lockport, Louisiana
2 posts
Save Topic
Fall Foliage trip

We are planning a trip from Sept.27,2012 to Oct.4, 2012 flying into Portland, Maine and renting a car at airport for the week. We want to see and do as much as possible in 6 days. Would like to visit Conway NH, Woodstock VT, BurlingtonVT, Essex CT, Mystic CT, Newport, RI, Martha's Vineyard, Cape Cod, Boston, Mass.,then back to Portland. Any suggestions as to where to make stops overnight so I can try to book rooms or would it be ok to just wing it on the way. Have hotel for Portland already. Thanks for all your advise and suggestions in advance.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,387 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall Foliage trip

That's a very ambitious trip with lots of driving. But it probably can be done. I think it would be good to book ahead, given that this is prime leaf-peeping season. When it is a particularly colorful foliage year, I've known Boston and New York City to just about empty out to go see the leaves. People without reservations end up sleeping on the floor of church basements, whose doors are generously opened to the crowds so that no one has to sleep in their cars. In Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire, there are not chain hotels at every interstate intersection.

I'm guessing it will be a full day of driving to get from Portland to Burlington, your northernmost stop. You could spend the night there. Then another day of driving to get to Connecticut. I'm guessing it's very expensive to stay on Martha's Vineyard. You might want to book a place near whichever ferry you will be taking and make the Vineyard a day trip.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,866 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall Foliage trip

You can fit all your desired destinations into the time you have available -- but you're going to be seeing a lot of foliage "through the windshield" as opposed to stopping, getting out of the car and enjoying the New England fall weather....

Depending on what time you land in Portland on Sep 27th, you should be able to make North Conway NH -- about 60 miles and an hour and a half driving time.... overnight North Conway or Jackson NH.

Sep 28th North Conwat to Woodstock VT and on to Burlington VT -- about 240 miles and 5 hours of driving Overnight Burlington

Sep 29 Burlington VT to Essex CT -- about 270 miles and 4 1/2 hours of driving time. Overnight Essex CT

Sep 30 Essex CT to Newport RI to Hyannis MA About 150 miles and 6 hours of driving time

Oct 1 Day-trip via ferry to Martha's Vineyard Overnight Hyannis area 0 miles driving today

Oct 2 Explore Cape Cod then on to Boston -- 71 miles Hyannis to Boston - about two hours

Oct 3 Exploring Boston -- Drive to Portland ME about 70 miles -- allow 1 1/2 hours

Oct 4 Depending on flight time, explore Portland then off to airport...

Note that above driving time estimates do not include times for gas/rest/meal stops, but are actual on-the-road, wheels-turning estimates... As already noted, it's a lot of driving with little time for getting out and enjoying the destinations along the way on some days.... It can be done, but really depends on how you want to spend your time.....

Lockport, Louisiana
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall Foliage trip

Thanks for your help with my schedule, but we decided not to do Burlington & Essex , so we can have more time to enjoy the sights and weather and not just be on the road the whole time. We are staying the first night in Portland, then heading out on the next morning to North Conway to ride the train. After that we will head to Littleton for some time, then spend the night in St Johnsbury, vt.on Sept.28th. Sept. 29th on the road heading to Hartford, CT and probably spend the night. Next morning Sept.30, stop in Mystic, Ct for a visit then on to Newport, RI for a visit then on to Hyannis, MA for 2 nights, taking a tour of the Vineyard on Oct. 1st. then enjoying the rest of Cape Cod until the next day. Oct.2nd is off to Boston, MA and staying the night while enjoying the city. Last night back in Portland until departure Oct. 4th. Please let me know if you think this is a more doable schedule.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,866 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall Foliage trip

Definitely !!

5. Re: Fall Foliage trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2013, 10:18