We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to Portland

Delafield
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Boston to Portland

We will be flying into Boston 9/5 and want to travel up to Portland. We have to be back in Boston 9/11 to fly out. Don't know much about the area...got a cheap airfare when I was off from work. We like to see the wineries, breweries, beaches, farm or food related industry in the area. What do you suggest we see or do. I feel so unprepared for this vacation. Also places to stay on our trip in the mid price range. Thanks.

Maine
Level Contributor
891 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston to Portland

Here's a few things to get you started.

For breweries - there is the Harpoon Brewery in Boston

- Shipyard Brewery in Portland

If you want to go about 15 minutes north of Portland to Freeport there is the Cold River Distillery (vodka and gin)

www.mainedistilleries.com/visit-us.html

Also in Freeport is Wolfe's Neck Farm

http://wolfesneckfarm.org/

And in New Gloucester is Pineland Farms

http://www.pinelandfarms.org/home.htm

For places to stay you may want to give a rough price you are looking for. Your opinion of mid price may be much different than someone elses.

Delafield
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston to Portland

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks interesting. We are looking for rooms under $150 to 180. Is that going to be possible or is it unrealistic?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,758 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston to Portland

Babyloulou -- Your rates may work if you don't have to be right in downtown Portland.... There are a number of hotels in South Portland, Maine that offer great access to I-95 (the Maine Turnpike) and I-295, are close to numerous restaurants and the Maine Mall (you may not want to shop, but it's a generally-known local reference point when people give driving directions). and just an easy drive from downtown Portland and the Portland waterfront. We've had good stays over the years at the Hampton Inn-South Portland (don't confuse it with the Portland location), the Marriott at Sable Oaks, and the Holiday Inn - Express... and there are other possibilities nearby as well. An on-line search for South Portland Maine hotels should get you a pretty good list.... If you spot a particular property that catches your eye, come back to this forum and ask us about it....

Maine
Level Contributor
891 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston to Portland

I agree with the South Portland hotel recommendation. It's great to stay in downtown Portland, but when you can save $100/night or more by staying by the Maine Mall it's a no-brainer for me.

Since food seems to be one of your interests I would not eat in that area though. There are many restaurants, but they are your typical mall area chain restaurants. Downtown Portland is known for it's great dining so it's well worth the 10 minute drive for a better dining experience.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,758 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston to Portland

Totally agree with Soxfan re: restaurants.... Too many great choices in the Old Port area to eat at any of the chain restaurants near the Mall. Definitely remember the Hampton Inn having a binder of local restaurant menus....suspect some of the other Mall-area restaurants may also have one. Or -- just ask the folks on the desk.....they can give you some good suggesitons depending on what kind of thing you're looking for...

Maine
Level Contributor
820 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston to Portland

Careful with the desk recommendations. Colleagues recently stayed there and were sent to The Weathervane by the Mall. They reported the same terrible food that has been the experience of other visitors. Portland has fabulous restaurants. Just double check any recommendations you get. Enjoy Portland, it's a great place.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,758 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston to Portland

Nice "heads up" pegoode... Have never heard a front desk staffer anywhere in Portland or South Portland recommend The Weathervane to a guest.... and, based on our experiences, can't imagine they would do that... Guess I need to curb my enthusiasm for that idea from now on.... although we've had good suggestions from numerous Front Desk folks over the years... Guess times do change...

Maine
Level Contributor
820 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston to Portland

I was surprised as well and sorry for the folks that took her recommendation as they were looking forward to some of the great food Portland has to offer. When places like Hugo's, Walter's, Caiola and Fore Street are withing striking distance, it's a shame they wasted one of their two nights in Portland at the Weathervane. The next night they went to Street and Co. and were very pleased. I travel frequently and often ask the hotel staff where their favorite places to eat are. I try to vet the restaurants before making a decision and have been lucky so far. I did dodge a greasy spoon local buffet in No. Carolina last year by asking a few follow up questions before going there to dine based on the "it's the best place!" recommendation. People have different ideas about what a good meal looks like that's all.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
111 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston to Portland

I'm into Breweries/Beer too. Here are my recommendations on places to stop/eat/see:

Portsmouth New Hampshire - Portsmouth Brewery - - Good food and beer plus it's fun to walk around town.

Kennebunkport, ME - Good beer/ok food at Federal Jacks. This is the home of the Kennebunk Brewing Co and they serve Shipyard beers. It has seating with water views. For good eats in Kennebunkport try Bandaloop (my fav!).

Saco, ME - Run of the Mill Brewpub. Good beer in an old mill building. Food is pretty good.

Portland, ME - There are a number of breweries here. If you want a good beer bar, I'd go to "Great Lost Bear". The food isn't spectacular but they have an awesome number of beers on tap and you can try many of the local brews.

10. Re: Boston to Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 18:18