We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning vacation

vanthefisherman
8 posts
Save Topic
Planning vacation

If I stay at the Hilton garden inn downtown will I need to rent a car or can I just walk most places? Will be there 3 days... My interest will be EATING, catch a lobster boat tour, shopping, ... Taking my girlfriend who has always wanted to visit Maine and eat lobster and check out lighthouses... She is super excited. Will be there June 7-10

Maine
Level Contributor
894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning vacation

Portland is a fairly compact town and is easily walkable. If you don't intend to venture out anywhere else you will be fine without a rental car.

If you want to explore a little further then you will want a car because public transport outside the city is scarce.

If you want to check out lighthouses a car would be best .....at least for a day.

If you wanted to include Freeport in your shopping plans then a car would be best for that also.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
932 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning vacation

Lots to do in Portland w/out a car. Lots of places to walk. You could catch one of the Casco Bay Ferries and visit one of the islands (Peaks Island is really nice). You would need a car to get out to the lighthouses. There are a few w/in an easy drive. If you want to go to Freeport you could catch the train.

3. Re: Planning vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 16:15