We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East coast road trip.

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Clitheroe, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
East coast road trip.

Hello everyone, i'm planning on a road trip down the east coast this summer but i'm in 2 minds on a few destinations! I'll be flying in to Newark so i'm thinking of driving up to Maine and maybe staying in Portland for a couple of days, but is it worth a visit?? I don't really know much about it.

I'm then thinking of Boston, NY, Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC and finish up at Virginia Beach. What's everyones suggestions? I think i'll be travelling on my own. I love meeting people and i'll be out drinking in every place i visit so i don't want really quiet places, but i wouldn't mind visiting the smaller places that no one really knows about, off the beaten track if you will! Any help will be appreciated! Thanks.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: East coast road trip.

Hi Everyone, My husband and I are thinking of doing a road trip on the East Coast of USA. We will hire a van or something similar. If anyone has any suggestions as to good vans to hire and great places to go to. We are middle aged but active and outgoing. We enjoy getting to know locals and meeting people. Thanks

West Chester...
Level Contributor
885 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: East coast road trip.

We have stayed in bith Ogunquit and Portland. Ogunquit is vety nice but gets very crowded and I wouldnt see it as a singke persons town. Portland is much more that. If i had a Maine choice it would be Mount Desert Island which gives you access to Acadia National Park and the nightlife of Bar Harbor.

Youre sure you want a van? east coast cities have streets that go back to colonial days and can be quite crowded and narrow, not like what we drove in Australia. Even many of the interstates (e.g. I 95) can often be very tight and busy. We used to have a minivan in the Midwest but once back here we changed to a Hyundai SUV to save the extra few feet. Parking on streets and even in lots are not spacious.

As to where to go, are you intetested in seashore (not as dramatic as Oz except for Maine), art, hiking, history, relaxing???

Edited: 31 December 2013, 14:58
13. Re: East coast road trip.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 05:17