We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Portland, ME for a day with an elderly woman

Barrington, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Portland, ME for a day with an elderly woman

My sister and I want to take a day trip to Portland and bring out 83 year old mother who doesn't walk very well. Is there any thing such as a tour where my mother wouldn't have to walk? What other things could we do and where is a nice place to eat?

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,936 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Portland, ME for a day with an elderly woman

If you head into the Old Port, please be aware that there are brick/cobblestone sidewalks. Would she like a boat tour? If so, check out Casco Bay lines: http://www.cascobaylines.com/

While not a "foodie" destination, DiMillo's is a great choice for lunching with your mother. It is a floating restaurant: http://www.dimillos.com/restaurant/

Barrington, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Portland, ME for a day with an elderly woman

Thank you so much!! The boat tour will be perfect and eating at Dimillo"s also sounds like it would be great for us too. Really appreciate it.

Maine
Level Contributor
894 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Portland, ME for a day with an elderly woman

I have not done it, but there is also the duck boat tours for seeing the city.

http://www.downeastducktours.com/

PA
Level Contributor
845 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Portland, ME for a day with an elderly woman

My family just did the duck tours this past July. We had two forty somethings, a sixty year old, and an eighty year old. We all enjoyed it and felt it was a nice pre-view of the city. The older person didn't appreciate the added humor but the rest of us thought it was a fun touch.

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Portland, ME for a day with an elderly woman

Portland has Trolley tours which is a 90minute drive-by tour with a stop at Portland headlight in Cape Elizabeth. Check out - portlanddiscovery.com/tours/…

Maine
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Portland, ME for a day with an elderly woman

I highly recommend the folks at Portland Discovery Tours. They are very nice, very professional and put on great excursions. You might want to consider their land and sea tour, which includes a 90 minute trolley tour of the city (including a visit to Portland Head Light) and then a cruise in the afternoon. You can read more here:

portlanddiscovery.com/tours/land-sea-tour/

The Portland Museum of Art is also wonderful. As museums go, it's not too big so not too much walking, plus it has seating in every gallery so your mom could take frequent breaks.

Enjoy!

Barrington, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Portland, ME for a day with an elderly woman

Thanks!

Maine
Level Contributor
851 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in Portland, ME for a day with an elderly woman

We recently took a tour with Maine Day Trip Tours and I would highly recommend seeing Portland and the surrounding area with them. The van is very easy to get in and out of, the ride is very comfortable, the tour is customized to meet your special needs and interests and a selection of lunch stops will be suggested based on cuisine preference and accessibility. Check it out mainedaytrip.com

9. Re: What to do in Portland, ME for a day with an elderly woman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2014, 07:16