We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer and food

colorado
Level Contributor
225 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Beer and food

Hi,

I am coming in October on a cruise. What pubs would you suggest that would be withing walking distance? We like red ales, stouts and porters. Any suggestions of where to go and what beers I should try.

Thanks

Briody

Maine
Level Contributor
893 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beer and food

Lots of good pubs in Portland

Amazing selection available at:

Nova Res

http://www.novareresbiercafe.com/draught.php

I also like Three Dollar Dewey's or for a brewpub try Gritty McDuff's or Sebago Brewing Company.

Maine, US
Level Contributor
119 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beer and food

I second Novare Res if you want a good beer selection.

Maine
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beer and food

A fairly new place that opened a few months ago is In'Finiti Fermentation and Distillation. I haven't been there yet but people are talking. This review has pictures and more info:

nycnomnom.com/2013/…

Apparently it is somehow connected to Novare Res. Same owners? It's right on Commercial Street so an easy walk from a cruise ship.

Edited: 16 July 2013, 18:21
Maine
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beer and food

Novare Res has a great beer selection, though it is a bit overwhelming and pretentious. I don't think you will find local beer here. Sebago has good beer and food. Gritty's has good beer but lousy food. $3 Deweys has good beer, thought they do not brew their own and their food is pretty good. You can find a good selection of ales et al throughout the Old Port.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
42 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beer and food

In this dude's opinion, Gritty's beer is okay in a pinch, but as a beer lover in Portland I never go there...I avoid it as much as possible actually. Sebago is definitely better beer-wise. Infiniti, just down Commercial from the cruise ship, is a must for beer, and maybe one or two "tapas". They brew their own beer and are very new on the scene, so some great and interesting selections you won't find anywhere else at this point. Novare is an awesome atmosphere, and tons of goodies there, including a good 5 to 6 harder to find Maine beers. If it were me getting off that ship, I would go to the Thirsty Pig on Exchange St./Market St. and spend 5 hours there drinking delicious and eating sausage. Or even better, assuming they're open on whatever day you are here, take a cab to Rising Tide/Bunker Brewing...10-minute taxi ride and walkable from one to the other...and you will be so happy you did.

6. Re: Beer and food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 07:17