We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in september

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weather in september

Hi all, is it cold to go to the beach in early september in portland or ogunquit? Thx - thinking of doing new england trip this sept but not sure if the weather permits!

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
896 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in september

Early September is one of the best times to hit the Maine coast. The crowds are gone; the weather can be very mild and the ocean is probably at it's warmest (still pretty cold though).

Maine
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in september

Predicting the weather in Maine is always an iffy proposition but in general, I'd say yes, you can go to the beach in Portland or Ogunquit in early September. The evenings might be a little cool but the days can be very pleasant. It won't be blazing hot but I still think you'd have decent beach weather.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in september

So good enough for sunbath (I don't mind if I am able to swim or not)? Do they snorkel over there?

Maine
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in september

Yes, sunbathing should be possible. And I suppose you could snorkle but not sure what you'd see. It's not the Caribbean with tropical fish. And the water is cold...not good for paddling around in and watching fish--whatever fish there are to see. :-)

Maine
Level Contributor
404 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in september

When Leslie says the evenings might be a little cool, sometimes that means darn cold. When the sun goes down you'll know you're not in the Carribbean.

Maine
Level Contributor
64 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in september

I think September is the best time to come here. Humidity is usually much less than in summer, temps are in the 70s in early Sept. And it's very likely there will be warm days in the low 80s.

A great time for the beach....the water may even be warm enough to swim in still (it is unusually warm right now - at least for Maine!)

7. Re: Weather in september

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 07:18