We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Portland hilly?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Is Portland hilly?

We'll be there for a day on a cruise ship, and I want to walk from the cruise ship dock to the Longfellow house, the art museum, and, time permitting, the Victoria Mansion.

Is this an easy stroll for a not-so-fit senior?

And another question...are whole belly fried clams a Massachusetts thing, or can I find them in Portland? (where?). I'll be having plenty of lobster in other ports, but also really love fried clams.

Maine
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is Portland hilly?

It might be hard to hail a taxi during the day, though you may be lucky on a cruise ship day. During the evening they are much more prevalent. I prefer ASAP taxi.

You can find fried clams at many places in Portland. I very rarely see STRIPS on the menu here. Gilberts Chowder House, $3 Deweys are also on Commercial and offer clams.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is Portland hilly?

Ok, we'll look at menus (and go by aroma!) depending on where we are. Thanks for all the help.

Maine
Level Contributor
845 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is Portland hilly?

There will be cabs when you get off the ship. You could ask for a card when you get out of the cab so you can call when you want another ride. Alternatively, take the number of Elite with you and make your arrangements when you get there. We recently used ASAP and they were fine too.

14. Re: Is Portland hilly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 07:19