We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casco Bay Ferry - reservations?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Casco Bay Ferry - reservations?

I have been following posts about scenic trips and sunrise/sunset trips. I know the mail run is less expensive and some have posted that those can end up being sunrise or sunset ones (informally); however, I have looked at their schedule for the mail run (looks like it leave in mid am and mid pm) as well as sunrise and sunset times, and they don't jive.

If we had to pick one, sunrise or sunset, which would you take and why? Photo ops, possibility of seeing wildlife and true life on the ocean is what we'd like as well of course of the beauty of the surrounding area. It's 2.5 hours.

Can we just show up or do we need to buy tickets ahead of time?

Maine
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casco Bay Ferry - reservations?

You don't need a reservation--just show up and buy a tickets. The ferries are good sized and I don't think they ever fill up with people (cars, yes, for the car ferry to Peaks).

I can't really say which ride to pick since I've never done the sunrise/sunset cruise. As long as it is a clear day, I am sure either one will be beautiful.

Keep in mind that you are cruising among the islands of Casco Bay and will not be out on "the ocean" as in the north Atlantic. That's a bit of a journey from Portland. Being in and around the islands is fun though, and pretty. You may see some harbor seals and plenty of seagulls. Probably no other "wildlife" though. Certainly no whales or puffins.

L

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casco Bay Ferry - reservations?

You can get a good idea by reading through the reviews for the ferry boat

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g40827-d19…

But Leslie N. is correct that it is bay water, not ocean. Really no wildlife to speak of. I think Lucky Catch cruises has a seal boat run.

3. Re: Casco Bay Ferry - reservations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2014, 07:19