We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

long weekend in Portland

Memphis, Tennessee
2 posts
Save Topic
long weekend in Portland

Hi,

My husband and I will be spending a long weekend in Portland in early October. We'll be taking one day (either Saturday or Sunday) to drive and see some fall foliage. What are some of your favorite scenic drives and stops along the way? I'd also love to know what things are can't miss in Portland. Lighthouses? Peaks Island? What about favorite restaurants, coffee shops, lobster shacks? Really, just looking to hear about anything that you can tell me. Thank you!!

Karly

Mentioned in this post
Peaks Island
Peaks Island
110 Reviews
Maine
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,897 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: long weekend in Portland

Portland Head Light lighthouse in Cape Elizabeth, just outside Portland, always tops my "must do" list... and while you're out that way, you could check out Two Lights Lobster Shack for a seafood meal overlooking the water -- both of the above can be Googled for photos and more info....

Mentioned in this post
Portland Head Light
Portland Head Light
1,772 Reviews
Cape Elizabeth, ME
Lobster Shack
Lobster Shack
879 Reviews
Ogunquit, ME
Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
988 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: long weekend in Portland

I agree with MOTG...Cape Elizabeth and Two Lights Lobster. Peaks Island is beautiful in the fall. The ferry ride over is lovely. You can walk the entire island or rent bicycles. It's quiet and has become a must see place for us when we're up there. Loads of good places to eat. Duck Fat has the best fries and soups. It's very, very casual. Fore Street and Street and Co are also places we love for dinner. Flatbread Company has good pizza. It's next to the ferry terminal and you can sit outside and have a local beer with your meal. Not sure what the leaves will be like in early October but nice drives would be to go north on Rt 1 and go out to either Bailey Island or up to Popham Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Peaks Island
Peaks Island
110 Reviews
Maine
Fore Street Restaurant
Fore Street Restaurant
1,985 Reviews
Portland, ME
Street and Co.
Street and Co.
1,497 Reviews
Portland, ME
Flatbread Company
Flatbread Company
967 Reviews
Portland, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,824 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: long weekend in Portland

I agree with everything above and will add a favorite coffee shop: Mornings in Paris on Exchange Street. Great latte and a killer cinnamon roll. Duckfat for lunch has actually been a reason for us to make the three hour drive from Bar Harbor on occasion.

http://www.morningsinparis.com/

http://www.duckfat.com/

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Mornings In Paris
Mornings In Paris
220 Reviews
Kennebunk, ME
4. Re: long weekend in Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 06:21