We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Suggestions with Ocean, Water, Beach View

New Orleans...
4 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Suggestions with Ocean, Water, Beach View

Hoping for hotel in Portland area with beautiful OCEAN view the first week of October. My grown daughter and I from New Orleans are doing a Mother/Daughter fall trip from Providence, RI to Portland, ME and then circling back to Providence via New Hampshire and Vermont. We'd love a room with an ocean view near Portland. Reasonably priced would be nice but we're willing to splurge a bit. We can't wait to overdose on Maine's wonderful lobster so any restaurant ideas would be great! Other thoughts for hotels/restaurants with views in NH and VT also appreciated. Fingers crossed for some beautiful leaf colors we never see down South. Thank y'all so much.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Providence
Providence
Rhode Island
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Vermont
Vermont
United States
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Suggestions with Ocean, Water, Beach View

Portland is not really your city if you are looking for Ocean Views and beach. Consider Ogunquit, Kennebunkport.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,824 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Suggestions with Ocean, Water, Beach View

Sadly, joesorce is right. The water views from the Portland hotels are of a working harbor and not at all of a beach or open ocean. However, just south of Portland, in Cape Elizabeth, is this very nice hotel:

http://www.innbythesea.com/

It may be a bit more than you were thinking of spending. But it is quite nice and will put you in a good location for a visit to Portland or to Kennebunkport or Ogunquit.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Level Contributor
898 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Suggestions with Ocean, Water, Beach View

I will concur with the above posters. Also wanted to add that anyplace with a good view will probably not be reasonably priced. Foliage season is a very popular time to visit Maine and the lodging rates will reflect that popularity. You'll probably have to compromise on something, either location or price. This will be true in NH and VT also. At this point many of the popular places may not even have any availability so your choices may be further limited by what's still available.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Bass Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Suggestions with Ocean, Water, Beach View

If you are willing to broaden your travels a little, the website

http://www.watersidehideaways.com

lists a few very nice B&Bs on the ocean. As others have noted, the first week in Oct is a very popular time to be in Maine, so finding a vacancy may be difficult.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
New Orleans...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Suggestions with Ocean, Water, Beach View

Thanks so much, joesource, bonniemaev and soxfan. I figured I'd have to go a bit outside Portland to get a nice water view. The Inn by the Sea is lovely altho a little more than I wanted to spend, but I may be booking it today as there were still rooms left yesterday.

Can you suggest a central location to stay as our base for visiting Newport, Portland, Conway, driving the Kancamagus Hwy, Stowe, and Waterbury (Ben & Jerry's for my daughter!), returning to Providence for our flight home? A friend suggested Sunapee, NH or Concord, NH. I'll post in the NH forum but wonder what you think of doing that with day trips each day to the various cities instead of booking a different hotel for only one or two nights in each. (Sunapee to Portland about 2.5 hrs, Sunapee to Stowe less than 2 hrs, etc.)

Edited: 15 September 2013, 15:37
Mentioned in this post
Concord
Concord
New Hampshire
Paw Paw, West...
Level Contributor
12 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Suggestions with Ocean, Water, Beach View

I would suggest Old Orchard Beach, it is only about 20 minutes from Portland, and has the nicest beach in Maine.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
7. Re: Hotel Suggestions with Ocean, Water, Beach View

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 05:16