We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming to Portland looking for Cool Photo spots (in OCT)

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Coming to Portland looking for Cool Photo spots (in OCT)

Hi,

I am coming to Portland (for the first time) in late October.

I am an avid amateur photographer, and I would like to get some location /even pointers from people who know the area.

I may or may not have car, but I travel for a good shot ( ie I traveled 9hrs on a train once to go to Clown festival in Bognor Regis in UK)

Are there dramatic locales, or places where interesting people hang out?

Are there Lobster boats , Seatle Fish Market like places?

As you can imagine I can certainly Google the above questions, so I am hoping some of you who maybe living there can offer some guidance.

Thank you for your time and help.

Turk

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming to Portland looking for Cool Photo spots (in OCT)

The two spots that come to my mind most quickly will both probably require a car.... but may be worth it....

The first is Portland Head Light lighthouse in Cape Elizabeth, Maine -- just a short ride across the brige into South Portland and down Rt 77. If you Google it, you'll get some idea of the photo availabilities and options available there.... an amazing spot in virtually any weather

The second is the harbor in South Freeport -- a short drive north from Portland proper.... following the driving directions for Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster will get you there easily....

A third alternative if you get decent weather would be to take a mail-boat-run ride on the Casco Bay Lines ferry boat, which literally delivers mail to the bay islands just offshore from downtown Portland..... Would give you a chance from some "quick shots on the way by" as well as help scope out individual islands where you might want to return and spend more time....

Be aware that by "late" October. much of the foliage will be gone from non-evergreen trees even in southern Maine -- much will depend on the number and severity of wind and rain we get between now and when you arrive.... But the starkness of bare tree branches against a blue Fall sky, or the multi-color extravaganza of windblown leaves on the ground offer other sets of photo opportunities.... Happy picture-making !!

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
896 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming to Portland looking for Cool Photo spots (in OCT)

I agree with all of the above spots. The other thing you can do is just allow yourself time to walk around the city. The Old Port section of town has cobblestone streets and older buildings. Lots of cool angles and lighting. Walk the Eastern Promenade. It goes along the water but the views are a mix of beautiful coastline and industrial. Again, very cool angles and lighting. I find when we're up there that I take just as many pictures of the cityscape as I do the actual coastline. Both are beautiful.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,533 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming to Portland looking for Cool Photo spots (in OCT)

I agree with the mail boat run. Beautiful rocky shore on some of those islands.

Maine
Level Contributor
785 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming to Portland looking for Cool Photo spots (in OCT)

I don't know what your budget is but if you dont have a vehicle you might check with Norm at Maine Day Trip (mainedaytrip.com). He is an avid photographer and can take you to the neatest spots! Enjoy your visit.

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
828 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming to Portland looking for Cool Photo spots (in OCT)

I second the above suggestions regarding the Mail Boat. Also some nice views from the Eastern Prominade where on one side you see the ocean and northeastern Islands and Fort Gorges and on the other side Mount Washington in New Hampshire - probably with snow on it by then.

6. Re: Coming to Portland looking for Cool Photo spots (in OCT)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2014, 06:21