We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August with kids

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
175 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
August with kids

My family (Husband 3 children aged 2,5 & 7) and myself will be in Portland Saturday August 9 for one night, This is our current plan:

Leave Bar Harbor 8am

Lunch at Duckfat

Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Company and Museum

Explore Old Port

Supper at FlatBread Company

(Deering Oak Park, if we have time)

Is this realistic? What area should I look in for a hotel/motel? I am looking for a clean place to sleep that isn't very expensive, I would like to keep it under $200.

Will we be able to get around by foot or bus? Or will we need to use our vehicle? If so, how is Portland for parking?

Thank-you for taking the time to read this.

Maine
Level Contributor
888 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: August with kids

Your plan sounds realistic to me. There are several parking garages in the Old Port area. There's also metered street parking with a 2 hour max time limit. The Old Port is very compact and walkable. The walk to the railroad is fine for adults and older kids. If your young kids are good walkers you should be fine, but it would probably be pushing it for some young kids. There is a small parking lot at the railroad if you choose to drive over.

For lodging, it will probably be tough to find something under $200 in downtown Portland, especially for 5 people. Any of the Old Port area hotels would be fine if you can find one that fits your budget. If you find yourself priced out of downtown Portland, then I usually suggest looking in South Portland in the Maine Mall area. Not as scenic as Portland (just the Mall and all the associated chain restaurants, strip mall, etc.), it's only 10 minutes from the Old Port and has many hotels which are more affordable than downtown Portland. The Holiday Inn Express is a decent option for finding space for 5.

Just a note on going to Deering Oaks Park......it's a nice park with a playground and duck pond, but if I had to choose, I would take the kids to the Eastern Promenade instead. It overlooks the water with lots of grass for the kids to run around and a small playground. And whichever you choose, I would drive to both of them from the Old Port.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August with kids

Tough time of year to find a one nighter, on a Saturday, in Portland, especially at that price. You might want to book a changeable/cancellable rate at either the Clarion Airport Inn or the Comfort Suites in Scarborough, while you continue to look around for something in the city. Hard to believe, but it won't be long before hotels in the area will show no availability for a one nighter on August 9th, so lock something in to give you some panic insurance.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
175 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August with kids

I appreciate the responses. We will have our bike carriage for the kids with us, Will we be able to use this in old Port? or are the street to busy/narrow? didn't realize hotels book up so fast is that because it's a weekend in the summer or is there an event that weekend? I will definitely get on finding something soon.

Our daughter will sleep with us so we only need a hotel with two beds.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,693 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August with kids

Portland iis a popular summer tourist destination and weekend lodging (at a reasonable price) can be tough to find most of the summer. If you don't find anything that suits you in the Old Port area of Portland, or in the Maine Mall area in South Portland, there are also some family-friendly hotel-chain options just up I-95 in Freeport... could be worth a look if you don't find what you want in Portland-South Portland. Deering Oakes Park and Eastern Promenade are both good choices for kids, buy you (and they) might also enjoy Fort Williams Park in nearby Caoe Elizabeth -- very easy drive with old military parade grounds, rocky beach, and (probably its highlight), Portland Head Light lighthouse. Plenty of room for kids to burn up energy while the adults enjoy the views of the lighthouse and rocky coast. (You can Google it for pictures, driving directions etc).

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,232 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August with kids

Agreed, Portland is really popular in the summer, lots of tourists so hotel prices are high, especially on weekends. Last summer, I was looking for accommodation for the 3 of us and everything in the Old Port was $325 or higher, too $$$ for us. We ended up visiting twice and staying in Scarborough/ South Portland, which s about a 10 minute drive to the Old Port. There are a number of chains with less expensive rates in that area, look at Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn, Towneplace Suites, etc.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
175 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August with kids

Thanks for all the help, I ended up booking Super 8 Portland in the Westbrook Area for $100. For the 20 min. drive to Portland I think it will do the trick.

I have added Fort William Park to my itinerary if we have time, thank-you for the suggestion, My oldest son is currently a fan of all things army.

7. Re: August with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 07:20