We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sightseeing boat cruise around Portland coast

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
missouri
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
sightseeing boat cruise around Portland coast

Any suggestions on the best sailing cruise around Portland to see the coast? Interested in a day cruise for a few hours. Thanks!

Madison, Maine
Level Contributor
187 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sightseeing boat cruise around Portland coast

Try checking out the Casco Bay Ferry Line

(www.cascobaylines.com) They have a number of scenic cruises, lobster bake, sunset etc... options. Make sure you read about what your choice offers for onboard refreshment options. Most of the day cruise stuff has snacks to buy, but you may be better off bringing lunch or stoppping off on one of the islands for a meal break.

Maine
Level Contributor
829 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sightseeing boat cruise around Portland coast

Casco Bay Lines are motorized ferry boats, not sailing. Depending on the time of year, you can take a 3-4 hour run to the furthest out island it goes, Cliff Island, with stops at Little Diamond, Great Diamond, Diamond Cove, Long and Chebeague Islands both on the way out and back. Boat leaves Portland at 10:00 am and 2:15 and 5:45 pm through Labor Day. They have shorter runs at other times. They also do a lunch cruise to Bailey Island. (You get off the ferry and eat at a restaurant there. www.cookslobster.com)

Another powered excursion is www.eagleislandtours.com

There are several beautiful sailboats that do cruises around Portand Harbor and the islands. My favorite is Bagheera (which I'm probably spelling wrong), but I don't have contact info. All the boats are docked within a couple blocks of Casco Bay Lines, and you can just wander and choose.

Portland, ME
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: sightseeing boat cruise around Portland coast

Bagheera is run by Portland Schooner Co. It is a beautiful boat built in the early 1900's. Their website is www.portlandschooner.com

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sightseeing boat cruise around Portland coast

A Casco Bay Lines sunset cruise would be pretty if it's not a cold day.

5. Re: sightseeing boat cruise around Portland coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 21:17
Get answers to your questions about Portland
Recent Conversations