We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Megabus Portland to Boston?

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Megabus Portland to Boston?

Given the scheduling uncertainties of the Amtrak Downeaster, I'm considering taking the bus from Portland to Boston. I know Concord Coach is the main line to use. But I've seen that Megabus also sells fares on this route, and I believe I've read that they're actually seats on Concord Coach.

Does anyone have familiarity with using the Megabus fares? Are they actually the same buses as Concord Coach? Are there any downsides to just buying a heavily discounted Megabus ticket?

I notice that Megabus doesn't release ticket availability for the Portland-Boston route until much later than for other Megabus routes. I'm not sure why this is but if they have some arrangement with Concord Coach it might be tied to that. Any insights?

Thanks!

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
778 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Megabus Portland to Boston?

Not sure when you're planning on traveling, but I did hear on the news this morning that timliness issues with the Downeaster are due to problems on the tracks resulting from the harsh winter and spring frost heaves. These are currently being repaired so if you're traveling this summer, all should be good and on time.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Megabus Portland to Boston?

Thanks. I also noticed that in the paper. I may still need/want to take the bus in at least one direction, depending on scheduling, so I'm still interested in how the Megabus option is working in practice.

3. Re: Megabus Portland to Boston?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2015, 06:17