We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Portland for a full day, what to do & where to eat

Lincoln, NE
Level Contributor
109 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
In Portland for a full day, what to do & where to eat

My wife and I are coming to Maine for three days in early October and have decided to spend one day in Portland and one day in Bar Harbor with basically a day spent driving to and from Boston with stops along the way. We're looking for a moderately priced, nice seafood restaurant for dinner as well as a good breakfast and lunch spot. Also, we are photographers and looking for unique photo opportunities. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jon

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Portland for a full day, what to do & where to eat

I'll go for the photo opps: it's difficult to beat lighthouses especially since you are from a landlocked state. The Portland Headlight is pretty any time of the day. Oodles of angles you can shoot it from. Just don't dally too long as they locked the gates promptly at sunset.

The Bass Harbor headlight in Acadia is another good one. It looks especially pretty at sunrise; good thing you are coming in October, so you don't have to wake so early!

If you are driving on Route 1, take some time out in Camden, and be sure to take the auto road to the top of Mt. Battie. If the leaves are good, that panorama will captivate you.

If the Margaret Todd is still sailing in October, take the sunset cruise for pretty light and views back at the island.

Bring plenty of film (or pixels) as Portland and Bar Harbor are both very photogenic!

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Portland for a full day, what to do & where to eat

If you are in Cape Elizabeth anyway for the Portland Head Light, for lunch I would suggest the Lobster Shack at Two Lights. If it's a nice day you can eat your lunch on the rocks or at the picnic tables; if inclement you can dine indoors. Lobster rolls, clams, burgers; a wonderful take-out-joint that's been in business since 1920 on a point of land with views that seem to go to Portugal (also near Two Lights State Park). You may bring your own beer or wine.

If you are in Portland early in the morning, there is no more local colour than at Becky's Diner on Commercial Street at breakfast. The food is very good. If you go early early early you will be in the company of no one but local fisherman. A bit later and people in suits are sitting at the counter shoulder-to-shoulder with longshoremen, fisherman, and everybody else who knows the magic of Becky's eggs.

As to moderately price dinner places, I think in many ways it depends on what you mean by "moderate"---it seems to me prices are bad everywhere these days. But I do think that as you drive along the coast you will be able to find a place that suits your tastes and wallet---there are many, many seafood restaurants along the coast.

As to the photo ops, remember that just about anywhere along the coast you will have bright eastern light in the morning over the ocean, and the sun behind you for some interesting colours over the waters at sunset. As you drive, some of the small fishing villages can offer some unique photo ops particularly at these times of the day.

And don't forget when you get to Bar Harbour---Cadillac Mountain! Talk about your sunrises!!!!!!!

3. Re: In Portland for a full day, what to do & where to eat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 04:19