We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland Culture

Boston
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Portland Culture

I've never been to Portland --- just York, ME when i was a little kid every year in august --- and had the time of my life!

I loved it there --- i want to start going to maine more often.

Portland seems like such a beautiful city....

I was wondering ... is it mainly English there?..... or are there many French-Canadians / french areas, italian, irish etc.???

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland Culture

Portland's a very small city, more like a big town. There's no Little Italy, Chinatown or Little Quebec for that matter. There are certainly those ethnicities represented, along with Somalians, Cambodians and Puerto Ricans, just like most places. Maine is a very "white" state, but also very accepting.

As for your other post, there are many beautiful places in and around Portland to explore. There are parks and ocean access galore, as well as shopping at L.L.Bean in Freeport (half hour away) and museums, dining and barhopping in the Old Port. A little research on your part on this site and others will yield you tons of info.

Boston
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland Culture

im looking @ the google map and i notice there's a ferry that goes from Portland to Yarmouth Nova Scotia!!

How long does that take???

I would love to go there maybe next summer,,, or the fall!!

i bet its beautiful over there!!

Has anyone ever taken that ferry??? Is it quicker to take it from Bar Harbor???

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland Culture

The CAT leaves from both Portland and Bar Harbor

The time is 5.5 from Portland compared to 3.0 in Bar Harbor

also there is a higher price from Portland

Portland has a nice waterfront with lots of shops and places to eat in Old Port

There are also cruises around Casco Bay and neighboring islands

Nice art museum , food market , home of the Portland Seadogs as well the beaches of Cape Elizabeth and good choices for lodging .

4. Re: Portland Culture

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 20:17