We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - Bike trip - North Haven Maine

York, Maine
Level Contributor
16 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - Bike trip - North Haven Maine

My husband and I went mid July 2012 to North Haven Maine. Spur of the moment trip for our anniversary.

We booked the Nebo Lodge for a Wed & Thursday (rooms much less expensive mid week than weekend).

Drove to Rockland got the ferry with our bikes and gear.

Arrived on North Haven on a bright beautiful July morning. I recommend the early ferry so that you have the whole day on the island.

The lodge is located on smalll side street adjacent to the library, right up the road from the ferry terminal.

Immediately felt welcome. Was able to leave our bags in the living room of the lodge and was able to use the bathroom (our room was not ready).

Off to the small lunch place called Cooper's Landing. Nice veggie options as well as the usual burgers etc.

Biked the island as much as we could in one day. Quite hilly but extremely scenic. Meadows, fields, water views, farm animals, chickens running around, beautiful flowers. A very nice but tiring (I am not in the best of shape) day of biking.

We made sure that we were back to Nebo for check in and the complimentary iced tea and homemade cookies at 4 pm. When 4 pm hit - we were there - very refreshing as we enjoyed on one of the 3 porches/verandas.

The room we had was pleasant, simple with beautfiul bedspread, rug. NO TV. What a welcome change - no sound to be heard in the inn. Awakened by the rising sun and the birds in the morning. NO CELL SERVICE. Nice to see kids running arounds, riding bikes, scooters and with their parents reading/doing craft projects in the community center. People are alert driving not talking on their cell phones!

Day 2 of biking - we saw a couple of Maine rocky beaches, a ride up the dirt road to the scenic Turner Farm stationed on a hill overlooking the ocean. Off to the one and only grocery - everyone spoke to us! Again - hilly terrains but extremely fun and scenic.

Back at 4 pm for those cookies and tea!

We had dinner both nights at the lodge. I recommend a reservation. Since there is no other dining options - the restaurant is THE place to eat. Limited menu but refreshing and new choices. NIce bar and bartenders. Beautiful antique linens.

We had breakfast at the lodge both mornings - fresh baked item, granolas etc, coffee, fresh Maine blueberries. Just easy and nice.

Highly recommend this little getaway. Again the lodge is quite pricey on the weekends. Try for a Tues/Wed and definately more affordable.

This trip was an amazing change of pace. No resort like feel. Everyone was friendly and helpful

1. Re: Trip report - Bike trip - North Haven Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2015, 16:16
Get answers to your questions about Rockland